What's new

Upgrading to HDMI DVD Player??? (1 Viewer)

JayKellen

Stunt Coordinator
Last year, I bought a 46 inch Toshiba HD widescreen TV, Toshiba Progressive Scan DVD Player, and I love it, but a buddy of mine told me that Toshiba has a HDMI Upconversion Player specifically for upgrading DVD Pictures. Before I go on out and immediately buy this (which i want to do) I know I need to research this more, since I am a little skeptical that the picture is that much better.

The HDMI Monster cable needed is like 150 bucks and the HDMI Dvd Player is like 150 bucks, and a part of me wants to know if it is worth it since I just bought new equipment last year. Do all DVD's look HD using these new pieces of equipment? Basically, can anyone give me the lowdown on this and fill me in. Will I need to buy all new HD DVd's of the movies i already own if I do not get this? Thanks for your help and advice, I appreciate it.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
you can buy the monster HDMI cable (2meter) from CC for 115.00 or online for about 65 bucks. They have a higher grade (gold end??) for 169.00. . . I use the regular one with great results.

I looked at the Toshiba player and decided against it. . . I let the CC salesman put me in a LG LGDVB418 player at 199.00 plus 115.00 for the HDMI cable.

I think my 4800 Toshiba does near as well and I still want the 975 Sony that I can get from J&R for 260.00 delivered. Meanwhile I like this LG player more every day. Not a thing wrong with the picture, easy to setup and operate, almost too easy. Quick to start, quick navigating menus and a small remote that is easy to use.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Jay, first of all, most upscaling players should come with the cable you need, mine did. You will need to look at the player's packaging and see if it does include the HDMI cable. Also make sure that your TV has HDMI, although it probably does.

Although a pure digital connection like DVI or HDMI will make your standard DVDs look better (this is subjective though) it is a better connection for your player and TV than component or S-Video (in theory anyway). Keep in mind though that the standard image on your DVDs is NOT HD at all but regular 480 interlaced. The player you mentioned will upscale the 480i picture to 480p (progressive) and the upconversion feature will attempt to upscale the 480p picture to 720p, 768p or 1080i, whichever is the native resolution of your TV. It will however NOT be true HD. The true HD players, named HD DVD or Blu-Ray will be out sometime this year at about $1k price point. The new players will play your old DVDs, but your old player will NOT play the new HD DVDs or Blu-Ray DVDs.

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
How about audio via HDMI? If I use the HDMI to connect to the Sanyo Z3 projector, will I be able to send the audio to the receiver via optical (Toslink)? I've recently read where some players try to send all audio and video via HDMI. Any suggestions on a HDMI capable player that does not block digital audio while using HDMI?

Any of these?

LG DVB418
Sony NS975V
Pioneer Elite 59Avi
NeuNeo HVD208
Denon 2910/3910

Robert%S

Auditioning
I bought the Toshiba upconverting dvd player two weeks ago and have been fairly impressed with the picture that I get on my 50" Sony LCD using the HDMI cable that comes included with the player. I picked it up at my local HH Gregg for $120.

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator
Jay,

Chuck Solo's response to your post is right on! DVD's look very good on a big-screen TV, but they are NOT HD! It seems to me that rather than spending money on better players and cables, you should put the money aside and wait until the HD DVD's and players become available at a reasonable price. You can then play your old DVD's on the HD player, but I predict today's DVD's will stay on the shelf like our VHS tapes and Laserdiscs.

I don't know if you have a true HD source for your Toshiba, but if you do, you are aware of how good your display can work with the right source. Enjoy that and tolerate your present DVD's with their beautiful but limited picture quality.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Dick speaks alot of truth.

Be sure if you go with an upscaling player that you have a good return policy on it. You may or may not notice a difference. Some do, some don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks