What's new

Upgrading to DirectTV HDTV ??? (1 Viewer)

Craig John

Auditioning
I currently have a 2-reciever SD DirectTV system, one reciever for my HT and another that feeds the rest of the TV's in the house, (3), (all the same signal modulated to channel 65). I also have basic cable which is fed to all TV's through an amplifier. I would like to upgrade the HT and at least one other TV to HDTV. I have several questions about the installation:

1. I will need a new, larger oval dish. Can I simply re-mount the new oval dish on the old mount? This would simplfy mounting alot. Obviuosly, I still need to re-align it.

2. Do I need to run any new cables to the receivers or can I use the existing RG-6 cable runs?

3. On the reciever that is modulated to channel 65, will I be able to send an HDTV signal to at least one TV, or do I need to run an additioanl RG-6 line to another receiver for that TV?

4. Does th RF feature on the remote distinguish one receiver from another? I wouldn't want my wife watching TV in the bedroom and changing channels on the receiver in the HT.

5. How much of an improvement in picture quality is realized by using the DVI feature? Is it worthwhile to get a DVI cable?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me. The people at the local Circuit City don't have a clue.

Craig

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. Most dishes use the same size mounting pole so a swap will most likely work. Make sure the pole is plumb. If it isn't it will make aiming much more difficult to almost impossible.
2. Not unless you are ADDING the HDTV receiver for a total of 3 receivers.
3. So you want to send an HDTV signal to 2 TVs? You will need to 3 coax cables for the video and 2 for the analog audio. Or you could downcovert it to SD and modulate it like you do now.
4. I think so.
5. I've read on this and other sites that there is very little difference.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks