What's new

Upgrading to decent quality speaker wire (1 Viewer)

alan22153

Auditioning
Real Name
al
Hello,

I'm just putting the finishing touches on my home theater/audio system. I've got an Onkyo 604 AV receiver and am awaiting some speakers I ordered from AV123. I currently have two very old Pioneer speakers (about 30 years old) hooked up to the receiver - with your bargain basement quality speaker wire. The speakers will go the second the new ones arrive.

In preparation for the new speakers, I replaced one of the speaker wires with Monster XP-CI. I hooked up the wire to one of the Pioneer speakers only. When I turned the system back on, the speaker connected with the Monster cable is not working.

I've wired speakers a zillion times before. Any idea what could be causing this?

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Through some fluke the speaker wire may have a break in it somewhere, or perhaps there's a point in there where it's shorted somehow. Do you have a continuity tester? It should be easy enough to determine if the cable is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks