What's new

Upgrading to Atmos with Denon X6500H! (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ve got a 7.1 setup with my old Denon, an X4300H. All the speakers are Definitive technology. Front and rear ceiling are Pro Monitor 800’s. The left and right wall mounted speakers are also definitive but I forget the model number and with the center Definitive speaker.

I thought I would do a 7.1.4 setup with the 4 in the ceiling. Would hanging for more 800’s be a good way to do it or should I go in ceiling with another Definitive speaker?

The room measures from the TV & front speakers to the rear speakers at about 25 feet. Width between surround speakers is 22 feet.

Opinions please. Would this be a good setup with a Denon X6500H. I have found this receiver on Amazon as “renewed” for $1600 which is a $600 savings. Has anyone purchased a receiver from Amazon this way?

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
A4L has it for $1550 FYI. I've had very good luck with purchases from A4L. My last 3 receivers came from them (including a Denon).

I can't help you out on the speaker selection/positioning - sorry. I'm investigating how I can get Atmos in my current setup too.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A4L has it for $1550 FYI. I've had very good luck with purchases from A4L. My last 3 receivers came from them (including a Denon).

I can't help you out on the speaker selection/positioning - sorry. I'm investigating how I can get Atmos in my current setup too.
I bought from ARL for the $1550. I when I first found it, the price was $50 higher. Glad I waited a little to pull the trigger. Free shipping and not sales tax.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I thought I would do a 7.1.4 setup with the 4 in the ceiling. Would hanging for more 800’s be a good way to do it or should I go in ceiling with another Definitive speaker?
Definitely in or on ceiling, with them ideally spaced the same as the L&R. As in, straight out from the front L&R speakers and about +/- 40 degrees from the viewing position. They should be overhead, not high and to the sides. Your room should be ideal for 7.1.4.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
An update. It’s all installed. The sound is so, so much better. But I had a problem with the new receiver, which was from Accessories4Less. After about a month the HDMI1 port, which is the cbl/sat port failed. Stopped working. It wasn’t the hdmi cable, I switched it to the next port and it worked.

So after much unnecessary testing to satisfy accessories they agreed to replace it once I shipped it back. As soon as they saw it was in the fedex system, they shipped the replacement. So I reinstalled the old receiver and once I got the new once, had to install it. I huge PITA.

There’s a history here. The previous receiver, after several years, the same port failed. I got along by using another port. Same results with swapping cables. To be sure, I used a new hdmi cable. I was worried perhaps there was still some issue with the cable.

Two different Denon receivers and different models, and the same port fails. The new X6500H only took a month to fail. I may call Denon to ask about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks