What's new

upgrading to ATMOS w Old Plasma TV & Roku Ultra. Confused about remotes, eARC, CEC, etc (1 Viewer)

DTBDFilms

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
I have a nice 2008 Samsung plasma TV along w/ a Roku Ultra, and a 5.1 Polk Audio speaker system. I'd like to upgrade my receiver to something w/ ATMOS and also be able to use the Roku remote to control the new receiver's audio and power on/off. I spent several hours today trying to figure all of this out and only got more confused. The Samsung plasma does have HDMI, but not ARC or eARC.

So, is there a way to do this? Thanks for any help!!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
Man plasma enthusiasts really are die hard, eh?

you can add a receiver to do Atmos but your tv needs to support e-arc for that feature. I recommend you restart with a Denon 3000 series and an LG CX/C1 and go from there

DTBDFilms

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
Man plasma enthusiasts really are die hard, eh?

you can add a receiver to do Atmos but your tv needs to support e-arc for that feature. I recommend you restart with a Denon 3000 series and an LG CX/C1 and go from there
Yeah, I'm a filmmaker and I've yet to find a modern TV that has the same color controls and general picture quality as the old plasmas. Honestly, after the past several quick flameouts from various brands, I now consider TVs as little more than temporarily pretty objects that are highly disposable.

So, there's no other way to do this then?

Openupshop

Grip
Real Name
Mark
I have a nice 2008 Samsung plasma TV along w/ a Roku Ultra, and a 5.1 Polk Audio speaker system. I'd like to upgrade my receiver to something w/ ATMOS and also be able to use the Roku remote to control the new receiver's audio and power on/off. I spent several hours today trying to figure all of this out and only got more confused. The Samsung plasma does have HDMI, but not ARC or eARC.

So, is there a way to do this? Thanks for any help!!
I had a similar issue to you, as my TV (that was waiting for an eArc update via firmware) wouldn't/couldn't send audio(including Atmos) on some movies to my receiver. But I had been patiently saving some movies, that I really wanted to watch, didn't want to comprise on sound & didn't know when the update would happen.

I ended up buying an Nvidia shield (set passthrough to whatever receiver can handle) going to receiver. So my receiver handles all the sound, i.e. plays Atmos great & sends only the video to my tv.

I realize what I ended up doing is different as it utilizes an Nvidia Shield & being so late where I am right now, maybe my brain is not making sense, but couldn't you connect the Roku Ultra(I'm not familiar with) to the receiver, then have the output HDMI of your receiver go to your tv? Your tv, being the oldest piece of tech would just be handling the video. I'm not sure about Roku remotes ability to control receiver, but since the ultra is their high end model, and you would be upgrading your receiver, both will have HDMI CEC which may allow them to play nice with each other. (Though HDMI CEC, for some in specific situations causes other issues. I use it, works great)

I know some others in similar situations also run an optical to bring audio from tv to receiver but that only works with certain audio & def not Atmos. (Helpful image at end)

p.s. I had a plasma too & fought the change for a really long time, with everyone around me not understanding why. Finally gave in a couple years ago. I def feel your pain with the plasma brother.

Screenshot_20210623-040800_Chrome.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
I had the best plasma ever made (Panasonic VT or whatever it was). It didn't hold a candle to OLED by any serious measure including blacks and motion control, and is completely beaten on resolution, HDR, light output. I don't get it at all but you guys do you. I gave mine away for zero point zero dollars and it went up on the wall for a neighbor's kid bedroom.

I honestly think part of the 'problem' is people think they invest in TVs. My take is that these are in no way investments. They start losing value the moment they are announced and the best you can hope is that they will be the best viewing quality for a year and change if you buy it first day available. It's a means to an end not an end itself. The classic example is a drill. You can have the fanciest drill in the world but people buy drills to put holes in walls, not to have fancy tools. It's even worse with TVs because a year has not gone by in the last 50 where PQ has not improved year over year. The drill still just makes the same sized holes in walls no matter how fancy it is.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had the best plasma ever made (Panasonic VT or whatever it was). It didn't hold a candle to OLED by any serious measure including blacks and motion control, and is completely beaten on resolution, HDR, light output. I don't get it at all but you guys do you. I gave mine away for zero point zero dollars and it went up on the wall for a neighbor's kid bedroom.

I honestly think part of the 'problem' is people think they invest in TVs. My take is that these are in no way investments. They start losing value the moment they are announced and the best you can hope is that they will be the best viewing quality for a year and change if you buy it first day available. It's a means to an end not an end itself. The classic example is a drill. You can have the fanciest drill in the world but people buy drills to put holes in walls, not to have fancy tools. It's even worse with TVs because a year has not gone by in the last 50 where PQ has not improved year over year. The drill still just makes the same sized holes in walls no matter how fancy it is.
Even my “budget premium” Vizio P Series flat out beats the plasma it replaced in virtually every conceivable way. And it’s bigger, cheaper, consumes a fraction of the power and doesn’t heat up the house.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Finally upgraded from a 50" Pioneer Kuro to 65" Sony 950H last year. Sony meets / beats the Kuro. And it uses a fraction of the energy – puts out a fraction of the heat. And I haven't even gone 4K yet.

It's easy to spend other people's money. But I don't even think Samsung was known for the "best" plasmas. That was Pioneer and then Panasonic. If you're a filmmaker, you owe it to yourself to get an OLED.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Even my “budget premium” Vizio P Series flat out beats the plasma it replaced in virtually every conceivable way. And it’s bigger, cheaper, consumes a fraction of the power and doesn’t heat up the house.
This spring, I replaced the plasma display that was in our new South Carolina condo with a similar Vizio display for exactly the same reasons.

DTBDFilms

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
Finally upgraded from a 50" Pioneer Kuro to 65" Sony 950H last year. Sony meets / beats the Kuro. And it uses a fraction of the energy – puts out a fraction of the heat. And I haven't even gone 4K yet.

It's easy to spend other people's money. But I don't even think Samsung was known for the "best" plasmas. That was Pioneer and then Panasonic. If you're a filmmaker, you owe it to yourself to get an OLED.
Oh man, you are seriously tempting me!! But, I like the picture controls in the plasma and find them very hard to find in newer models.I'll definitely have to check out OLED though.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Oh man, you are seriously tempting me!! But, I like the picture controls in the plasma and find them very hard to find in newer models.I'll definitely have to check out OLED though.
I suggest looking into how calibrate-able a set you’re interested in is. There may be hidden / pro menus. You might be able to hire a professional calibrator to give you much more accurate grayscale and color than you get on your own. Etc.

My understanding is that modern displays tend to have better out-of-the-box color accuracy (at least in a “movie” mode) than a decade ago. And tend to have better controls for accurate calibration than they did a decade ago.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My understanding is that modern displays tend to have better out-of-the-box color accuracy (at least in a “movie” mode) than a decade ago.

100%. I was amazed at how good out of the box the 2018 TCL Series 6 I got was. I helped my mom and stepdad pick out a Vizio-M series last year, and I went over to their house expecting to spend an hour calibrating it, and I was stunned that it's out of the box "movie mode" was really more than good enough for their uses. It's a whole new ballgame out there. I had a plasma from 2012 that I loved and I thought nothing could beat it, but much to my surprise, even a modestly priced budget set these days is leaps and bounds better.

And now, some TVs even have a new preset called "filmmaker mode" that has been signed off on by, as the name implies, actual filmmakers - it's sort of movie mode but tweaked for even better accuracy and with all of the unwanted motion interpolation gimmickry turned off.

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
DTBDFilms,

Sam and the others are right about OLED TVs. The only reason I still use my Panasonic VT plasma is for 3-D movies.

Rick

jmegas

Auditioning
Real Name
James C. Megas
I don't know which model of Roku Ultra you have, but if it's not a 2020 version I'd dump it. I had an early-model Roku Ultra and they do not support Dolby Vision HDR. That's a must-have for me.

Bartman

Second Unit
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Please check out OLED TVs. Also, there's a big improvement in picture quality between early (thick bezel) Samsung plasmas and the later thin bezel (last series) plasmas. I heard talk that the last series borrowed aspects of Kuro technology. I have one each of both and they're still doing sterling service in the exercise room and master bedroom.
I upgraded to OLED when my thin bezel plasma developed low level scintillation video noise. Also, I advise having your eyesight checked (as I did recently) if you are at all in doubt, before you go shopping for TVs. Good luck.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I don't know which model of Roku Ultra you have, but if it's not a 2020 version I'd dump it. I had an early-model Roku Ultra and they do not support Dolby Vision HDR. That's a must-have for me.
It's also the only Roku model currently that will allow you to experience Netflix programming in Dolby Atmos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baenwort
Recent bookmarks