Upgrading to 7.1 system, what paradigms to add to the mix?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fred DeGrandis, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Fred DeGrandis

Fred DeGrandis Stunt Coordinator

Upgrading to 7.1 system, what paradigms to add to the mix?
    I have a B&K ref 50, and I just took the plunge and upgraded my Sherbourn 5/1500A to the Sherbourn 7/2100. I am using Paradigm Studio 100's as the fronts, a Studio CC, and 20's for the rears.

What speakers should I add to the mix for my 7.1 setup?

The two that I have been considering are the 20's, and the ADPs.

As you can see in the picture attached, the room might allow a Studio 20 sitting on a stand in the middle of the room.

Please let me know what you guys think, and soory for the bad sketch

Sorry for the link, but I am

Fred

http://www.hometheaterdiscussion.com...s=&postid=5892

2. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

How far is that couch from the back wall? I would put the ADP's on the side wall and put some 20's on the rear wall behind the couch. Also why did you put 2 subs on one side instead of 1 on each side?

3. Fred DeGrandis

Fred DeGrandis Stunt Coordinator

How far is that couch from the back wall?

About 2 feet or so.

I would put the ADP's on the side wall and put some 20's on the rear wall behind the couch.

I will consider that[​IMG]

Also why did you put 2 subs on one side instead of 1 on each side?

Because if they are corner loaded, they hit hard as $hit. These are SVS Ultras by the way[​IMG]

Fred

4. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    Fred:

Have you been happy with the sound of your system with the direct radiating speakers as surrounds? If you have, then I would not recommend going to the ADP's as surrounds (even though that is what I have). The sound signature from the diffuse surrounds is completely different from the use of direct radiating surrounds and would be quite a change.

Here is a link to my HT - I use ADP's for the surrounds and in-ceiling mounted SA-10R's for the rears.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28828.html

Have you considered using the SA-25's for rears that you could mount into the wall behind you? In lieu of that I would consider the 20's in the rear.

If you are purchasing the speakers locally I would hope that the store would let you take a demo pair of ADP's and 20's home to try out in different configurations. The problem with trying out the ADP's is that you can't mount them as demos! A couple of step ladders to set them on or some strong friends to hold them works well..... (they are not light).

Good luck,
    Mike