What's new

"Upgrading" to 5.1, yet keep early 90's speakers? (1 Viewer)

Background (semi skippable):
We used to live in Tokyo, during the early 90's and picked up a nice system. Though back then it was 6 components to get less than you can out of a small hi-fi....! Regardless, we have VERY nice Sony SS-D902AV's and 2 seperate tweeters (but can be left out).

I myself was again living in Tokyo for the last year and picked up a very very nice "bookshelf" speakers and a Onkyo CR-D2 system (Japan only!) and it's amazing piece of kit.

What amazed me was I hooked it up to the old Sonys (that I never though much of, granted was younger with my father got them) and even though my system is mere ~30w's per channel. It made those old Sonys sound like something else! Even though they are rated top of 200w's!

Short:
Is it not to insane to keep the two Sony SS-D902AV's, and pick up a center, sub, new surround reciver and 2 rears? I know everyone always seems to say "same speakers" but is it really required?
What was thinking on grabbing

Reciver:Onkyo TX-SR607 or Sony STR-DA4400ES

Speakers:
Not sure? Be best to stay sony for sound sake?

Sub:
Huge room, so this will be what the dealer thinks in regard to massive room... (massive & open)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Speakers - ignore the wattage rating. It is a marketing tool that really has no impact on what you want to buy. You have also found out that it doesn't take hundreds of watts of power to make a speaker sound good. Paul Klipsch never used more than 30w/channel in his system. Granted he did listen to the corner horns he designed and they are extremely efficient.

It's not insane to keep them and add to them. Try to get a center channel from the same manufacturer and better yet, the same line. That way when sound pans across the front it will sound the same in each of the 3 speakers. That is timbre matching. Surrounds are less important. It doesn't matter with the sub since it plays in a difference frequency range.

Receiver - I'm in favor of everything but Sony. They used to offer the same features as others for a little higher price. I've been a Pioneer guy since the 80's and that's what I use now in my office, theater room and car.

Speakers - Technology has changed and I'll bet that you can get better sounding speakers now. Audition some just to be sure.

Sub - Ignore the dealer and go internet direct. How massive is the room? How loud do you want to play your system? Do you want the tactile feel of very low bass? How much space are you willing to give up for this? Budget?

-Robert

As for the sub, what do you suggest? We'd like to know it's there, though mother never was fond of "too much". I'd like them to have something they all enjoy (dad loves it when you can feel the small vibrations!). The room is big... 20x30 and with ~13 foot celling... Space wise, if we can use 1 that would be great, but I've heard might need two as (facing tv) we have huge massive windows, rear low wall, and left almost nothing (nearly all open). So it's complicated... Many say we need huge speakers to sound the room right, but the 2 sony's with my system were more than enough. I have a hunch it's quite balanced even if open...

The line is sadly long gone :/ Sony only sells one center now too (outside of Japan). Will give them an audition.

Receiver - Hmm I get that a lot about Sony. Maybe we are used to the stuff sold in Japan being sometimes slightly diffrent... We have a Sony TV/Blu ray, so figured be simpler to be same. I'll see if anywhere has Onkyo, not a fan of Denon... Mostly need something that can deal with any sync issues. Any suggestions? 1000$ or below?

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well I too like Sony dont know why they get so much flack?? I have read many times the ES line from Sony being reccomended by alot of folks tho??

I have a 7.0 set of Sony Speakers and sound as good as anything I have auditioned then ones that cost a lot more..I listen to alot of SACD/DVD-A too on these speakers sounds great IMHO..plus with my HSU VTF-1 sounds Awesome ;)

For the SUB Tho I would reccomend HSU or SVS both great sounding subs there is another brand but I foget which one it is that always gets reccomended here on HTF..

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The other two sub manufacturers recommended by me are Epik Subwoofers and Elemental Designs. Browse the web sites and see what you fits in your budget. You have a large room and you need to move some air if you want to feel the bass.

I know that Sony makes fine products. I have been able to find equivalent products for less.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks