Upgrading to 5.1 -- decoder questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tyler Ruggeri, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Tyler Ruggeri

Tyler Ruggeri Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony STR-DE615 receiver and am looking to get an external DD 5.1 decoder instead of having to get an entirely new receiver. I've got just a few questions since I'm new to 5.1 and would appreciate any help I can get?

1. What are the cheapest DD 5.1 decoders out there? I'm on a budget. How good are they?

2. I found a decent looking model called the Midiland ADS 2000. It's inexpensive and the reviews are great. However, while it's advertised to work with DVD players (doesn't mention anything about receivers), the main use for it seems to be with a computer. Does anybody know if I will be able to hook the blasted thing up to my Sony receiver?

Thanks in advance.

Tyler Ruggeri

2. Gordon C Jr

Gordon C Jr Stunt Coordinator

The cheapest way to go without buying another receiver, if my assumption is correct in that you want to hook a DVD player through it and get DD 5.1 sound, is to get a DVD player with a built-in decoder. Many of which will decode both Dolby Digital and DTS.. And hook it up through the 5.1 inputs on the back of your receiver. I think that receiver has them.

3. Duane M Davis

Duane M Davis Stunt Coordinator

Duane Davis
    Yeah, is that receiver DD Ready? Does it have 6 channel inputs(left, right, center, left surround, right surround, Subwoofer)?