Upgrading Theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Basil Theologus, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Basil Theologus

Basil Theologus Auditioning

Mar 18, 2001
    I am moving into a new house at the end of the month and thought that this would be a good time to upgrade the home theater. However, since I live in a very small town, I do not have the opportunity to audition speakers. My current setup:
    Toshiba 40H80
    Toshiba SD-6200
    Infinity RS-3's for front
    Infinity RS-2's for rear
    Infinity CC-3 Center channel
    Infinity HPS-1000 Sub
    Marantz SR-8000 Reciever
    I am keeping the T.V., DVD player, and reciever. I have already decided to upgrade to one or more SVS subs (Thanks to this forum.....much appreciated). My problem is that speaker selection isn't so easy. I am going to replace all five channels, and I have no idea what would sound good with the Marantz. I know that I really should go out and audition speakers, but as stated previously, this is not possible. And even if I could, there is no way I could try them at home.
    I have already done much research on this and other forums, and am really just frustrated by all the different options. Every few days I get convinced that a certain brand is perfect......options already considered:
    Def Tech
    B&W (I actually heard a pair of Nautilus 802's some time ago.....they sent chills up my spine, but are way out of my price range)
    That is all I can think of off the top of my head. A bit more info:
    Setup will be in the living room, which opens to the kitchen, and the upstairs master bedroom loft......pretty large area.
    Budget is up to $2500 for the five speakers, but would prefer to spend less.
    I will probably add a DVD-Audio or SACD player in the near or distant future....currently I use the DVD player for music.
    System sees about 75% movies, and 25% music.
    I will be taking measurements of the room areas in the house later this week so that I can ask Tom and Ron about which combination of subs will be best for me. If this info is needed for this topic, I will have it in the next few days.
    Ok, that is all the info I can think to include. Any suggestions will be much appreciated, and I would like to thank everyone here for the help I have already gotten from reading this forum.
  2. Dennis Jacob

Dennis Jacob Agent

May 8, 2001
    I own several model of norh speakers. I have the marble 9s, and marble 4s. Depending on your WAF issues the marble or synthetic marble(SM) could be a under budget option. I've heard good things about the Prism 6.9s I have a pair of Prism 4.1s available. I replaced them with marble 4s. The Prism 4.1s are just a couple inches too wide for my placement application. Since the marble 9s are out of your budget range, they are really not an option. The new SM models could be just what your looking for. You can go over to the Harmonic Discord site and go to the norh forum for additional input.
  3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Jul 30, 2000
    You should look at Def Tech for sure...in your price range I would consider (4) bp2006TL's and (1) clr2300. See www.definitivetech.com and www.audioreview.com for more info/reviews. For the bipolars just make sure to give some room (1-3 feet probably) for the rears to fire and try to keep the sides well away from the wall as well.
    Def Tech makes some amazing speakers...you should be very very pleased.