1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrading the DaveF household to 4K UHD

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DaveF, Jan 13, 2019.

1. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    I can second that. My TCL 43 inch has built-in Roku and excellent picture quality. If my larger living room set died [Samsung 65 inch] I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with a TCL model.

Josh Steinberg and JQuintana like this.
  2. JQuintana

JQuintana Screenwriter

Johnny
    I think I got a lemon when I got my 55" TCL (one of the boards or panel failed in a year. But I hear the 6 series is top notch.

I'd just consider getting an extended warranty to be on safe side from Square Trade.

Osato likes this.
  3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Starting to think through specifics of hardware for my wishlist (and relaxing on a Saturday morning after a tiring week :) )

Room: Living Room
    Component: Receiver

The Denon AVR-X3500H at $999 is the cheapest model with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and Audyssey LFC.
    The Denon AVR-X1500H at $599 is the cheapest model with Audyssey MultEQ XT (no LFC).
    The Denon AVR-S740H at $479 is the cheapest model with Audyssey MultEQ while still having Dolby Surround.

I'd really like XT32 for the best subwoofer equalization. But my living room doesn't merit a $1000 AVR. I do want at least Dolby Surround on the low end, so the 740H is the lowest I'd go. That's my bracketing.

I'm pretty sure all of these support HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HLG. I think overall, getting some benefit from the bass equalization in MultEQ XT is better than none from MultEQ. And that $599 price should be closer to the $479 of the 740H if I get a sale.

So, I'll plan for the X1500H. If there are 2019 models, I'll update accordingly.

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Room: Living Room
    Component: 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player

I considered just keeping old blu-ray player for the living room, since I basically never watch discs there. But, a UHD player is under $200 now, so I'll probably one just to see what UHD looks like a good direct view set. With that, The Wirecutter recommends the Sony UBPX-X700 as of Jan 2019.

Room: Theater
    Component: 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player

Panasonic DP-UB820.
    Everyone recommends the UB820, especially with projectors. $500.

Room: Theater
    Component: Display

JVC DLA-NX7
    MSRP: $7999
    I'm speculatively planning for the NX7 / RS2000 projector. These 2018 models are running three months and counting late in pre-order deliveries. Initial reviews are mixed: "pixel peeping" of absolute contrast and resolution target results is not up to spec and problematics. But early owner comments on watching movies are superb. I'm waiting to learn more and see what 2019 brings for model refreshes.

5. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    I have no need to upgrade my living room since [like you] I don't spend a lot of [viewing] time there. Personally, I would re-purpose that cash but I don't know the specifics of your situation.

I'm with you on this one. I already have the Oppo 203 but I may keep it and still add this Panny at some point. It will depend on the 4K projector I eventually settle on and the state of things at that time.

Perhaps this is where we diverge. 4K hooked me for awhile but then lost me with all of the different HDR standards, faux K vs true 4K, etc. While all of this was going on I kicked back and thought hard about what I actually like to do in my dedicated room these days. For me, it's mostly listening to music while I write posts like this one. It's not movies as much as it used to be, although I still enjoy them immensely.

DaveF likes this.
  6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I’m creating as exhaustive list as I can. When I really get to it, I may pare down on upgrades, like the living room player. But I like having an idea for what to get in the price class suitable to the room.

It’s a shame HDR is a mess. And disappointing the industry hasn’t done a good job of delivering solidly defined and executed standards for people to enjoy.

That said, I watch content in the projector room. My wife I are in there watching TV several nights a week. I get to movies when a weekend allows. I’ve also done a bunch of video gaming there, and might again later.

And Netflix has more and more shows in 4K HDR. And has at least one original movie in Atmos.

Which is to say: I can wait for late 2019 or 2020 to upgrade to 4K. But when I do, I’ll use it and enjoy it. :)

John Dirk likes this.
  7. KeithAP

KeithAP Screenwriter
    Supporter

Keith
    I was looking at this unit as well. I just need something to go to 3.1 (center, L/R front and sub) over the built-in TV speakers. I saw Accessories4less has a Denon refurb S740H for $249.00, comes with a 1 year Denon warranty. Looks like they have the other Denon units on your list as well.

Don't know how you feel about refurbs but I think it is worth a look.

-Keith

DaveF likes this.
  8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I admit to not being a rigorously rational electronics shopper and haven’t shopped refurbished since my student days. :) But I might consider it in this case since the living room is less important.

Here’s the Denon X1500H refurb for 37% off.

9. Osato

Osato Producer

Great discussion.

My budget is smaller but I really would like to go UHd in the next year.

My home theater is in my living room. Just my reliable 54” Panasonic plasma, Panasonic Blu-ray and I have a demon receiver with nht speakers.
    My sub and rear speakers are wharfadale.

I’d like to go 60” Oled UHd lg, but it’s pricey...
    I heard the Sony UHd players are good too.
    I’m hoping to use my denon for audio still. It’s 5-6 years old but was in storage for 2 years during moving season.

I’d say my budget is $1700 or less. I may have to go down to a 55” screen but would like to go up to 60-65.

I plan on saving so I need to get cracking on that too!!

DaveF likes this.
  10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    You should give the Vizio PQ a look. $1500 on sale at Costco for 65”. Reviews says it’s a great LCD. Unfortunately, the LG C8 OLED is $1700 for 55”, and jumps a thousand to $2700 for 65”. Need to find some good demos to decide whether size or absolute quality make a bigger difference to you.

Osato likes this.
  11. Osato

Osato Producer

Agreed.

I may have to go with a 55” as well.

I’m a year away from buying.
    I will be saving this year and price watching for sure.
    It’s too bad more manufacturers aren’t making Oled!