Upgrading Sys. - Need a litlle direction.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ThomasT, Jan 21, 2005.

1. ThomasT

ThomasT Auditioning

I am new to this forum and it sounds like there is a number of knowledgable people out there about HTS I hope will help guide me in the right direction.

I am in the process of upgradeing my HTS, but the more I read about systems, it seems the I get more confused - overload!

First, about wiring!! Everybodies seems to be the best.
    What is the best way to tell which is the best? I have Monster Cables now, but I am wanting to run speaker wires in the walls. What about wall jacks, will they effect the current to the speakers?

Secondly, I am upgrading to an Onkyo TX-NR901. I have read for best sound is to have an Equalizer. Is this correct?
    Would I need one with the TX-NR901? and if so what would be some recommendations that would be compatable?

I would appreciate any help, Thanks.

2. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Check with your local building inspector before you buy & install any speaker wire in the walls. Many localities require special 'in wall' wires. I believe you can get it in bulk from www.partsexpress.com. I installed wall jacks when I finished off the basement recroom for the kids. Many purists say that the fewer connections between the source(amp) and the speakers the better. Before I put up the drywall I connected the speakers directly to the wires and then through jacks without hearing a noticable dif in sound. You can get wall jacks from partsexpress, Home Depot, Radio Shack, etc. I went with gold plated ones from partsexpress. As far as the equalizer, I used to have one, a Soundcraftsman, back in my 'stereo' days in the late 70's/early 80's. It was useful back then to compensate for room accoustics. Now I listen to most music flat - bass and treble set to '0'. Movies are different, sometimes voices sound a little better to me with a slight bump up in the treble. With your Onkyo I think you could get along very nicely without an outboard EQ.

3. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

I've usually been told that if you have a good enough receiver/amp and speakers then you don't really need an equalizer, adjusting bass/treble controls should be enough to compensate for bad recordings.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.