What's new

Upgrading Sys. - Need a litlle direction. (1 Viewer)

ThomasT

Auditioning
I am new to this forum and it sounds like there is a number of knowledgable people out there about HTS I hope will help guide me in the right direction.

I am in the process of upgradeing my HTS, but the more I read about systems, it seems the I get more confused - overload!

First, about wiring!! Everybodies seems to be the best.
What is the best way to tell which is the best? I have Monster Cables now, but I am wanting to run speaker wires in the walls. What about wall jacks, will they effect the current to the speakers?

Secondly, I am upgrading to an Onkyo TX-NR901. I have read for best sound is to have an Equalizer. Is this correct?
Would I need one with the TX-NR901? and if so what would be some recommendations that would be compatable?

I would appreciate any help, Thanks.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
Check with your local building inspector before you buy & install any speaker wire in the walls. Many localities require special 'in wall' wires. I believe you can get it in bulk from www.partsexpress.com. I installed wall jacks when I finished off the basement recroom for the kids. Many purists say that the fewer connections between the source(amp) and the speakers the better. Before I put up the drywall I connected the speakers directly to the wires and then through jacks without hearing a noticable dif in sound. You can get wall jacks from partsexpress, Home Depot, Radio Shack, etc. I went with gold plated ones from partsexpress. As far as the equalizer, I used to have one, a Soundcraftsman, back in my 'stereo' days in the late 70's/early 80's. It was useful back then to compensate for room accoustics. Now I listen to most music flat - bass and treble set to '0'. Movies are different, sometimes voices sound a little better to me with a slight bump up in the treble. With your Onkyo I think you could get along very nicely without an outboard EQ.

eddieZEN

Second Unit

I've usually been told that if you have a good enough receiver/amp and speakers then you don't really need an equalizer, adjusting bass/treble controls should be enough to compensate for bad recordings.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks