What's new

upgrading subwoofer....SVS Ultra too much for me? (1 Viewer)

brian__pratt

Agent
my setup:

Klipsch...

SF-2 (mains)

SCC-1 (center)

SB1 (rear)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon 2802 receiver

would upgrading to an SVS Ultra be too much for my "moderate" klipsch setup? i'd hate to have to subdue the output too much to keep from overpowering the rest of the system.

thoughts?

Ned

Supporting Actor
The CS+ has most of the performance of the Ultra but at a significant price reduction. Consider that and you might have some spare cash to upgrade in other areas.

brian__pratt

Agent
the output of the SVS being cleaner and more precise, i imagine...with less "boom" than the KSW line?

i am looking for deeper response, which the KSW-12 does not have (bottoms out in many dvd's...star wars ep1 for example).

thanks for the help!

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
You can never have too good of a sub for any system. The bass can be adjusted and if it's too much, turn down the level and tune/equalize.

The SVS will be a great improvement over the KSW-12.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I had almost identical Klipsh mains (SF-1 I think ??). The SVS Ultra made them sound like new speakers. Sounded quite nice.

The CS+ might be plenty, as stated.

Nate Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I have an SVS 25-31pci with my Klipsch quintets/SC-C1 center and it sounds wonderful. I say get the best sub with the cash ya got. You can always turn it down but you can never "turn it up" to so speak :)

Will_S

Auditioning
Nate, how do you like the SVS 25-31 PCi, I am thinking of getting one for my paradigm monitor 7, CC-370, mini monitor setup. I am kind of waffleing between the svs and saving a bit and going with a HSU VTF-2.

Mike Kao

Second Unit
For less than an Ultra setup ($1,399), you could consider the HSU VTF-3 ($849) which is receiving glowing reviews so far. Or you could go with the CS+ series (range from $949 to $1049) which offers more bang for the buck than the Ultra, and yet sacrifices little performance. Since you seemingly have the money to spent, if you have the room to spare you might even want to consider going for a dual CS+ or dual VTF-3 setup which would be killer. For only a smidgen more, a dual CS+ would out-perform the CS-ultra, and I'm sure a dual VTF-3 setup would as well. Both are excellent choices

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
I'll second verbatim what Chris Tsutsui said:

"You can never have too good of a sub for any system. The bass can be adjusted and if it's too much, turn down the level and tune/equalize."

John

RM Haney

Grip
I have both the Klipsch KSW-15 and an SVS 25-31 PCi running together in my system. When I switch them back and forth and try to tell the difference, it is very difficult. Both the Klipsch and SVS hit very hard in the 40-60 Hz range but the Klipsch dies at about 30 Hz from what I can tell. I understand that this set-up is a little different than the one you have but I just though you would like to hear my experience. Overall loudness and slam factor, seems to be a draw. Extension-SVS all the way. Sound quality-close but SVS gets the nod. Build quality-also a close one. Neither is built as substantially as I would like, but you get what you pay for. Port was loose on Klipsch when I bought it new and SVS label was missing from 25-31 when I received it new. Not a big deal, found it in the packing materials and super glued it back on.

Bottom line, buy the SVS and use both subs. You won't be sorry. Either sub can hit hard, two subs together will hit real hard.

Mike

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
If your going to get an Ultra I suggests you get the Dual 25-31CS+ w/ Sampson Amp for basically the same amount. I was in the same predicament and went with the dual package and it SLAMS!!!! I have never to this day felt the same way about an upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks