Upgrading speakers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin_To, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Kevin_To

Kevin_To Auditioning

My system currently has 2 100W front speakers and 3 50W center and rear speakers. I'm thinking of upgrading my receiver to a 5.1 500W system. My question is should I also buy a new center and 2 new rear speakers with 100W rating on each?

Thank you.
    Kevin.

2. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

What brand of speakers and what models?

rogo

3. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I don't think that it's a necessity to watch the wattage, as long as it's not like a 20 watt speaker. You should be more concerned that the center matches the "timbre" of the fronts. I don't think that the "timbre" of the rears is as important to match with the fronts and center. If you find that the new center is louder (more sensitive) than the fronts or vice versa, you can just adjust the channel output for it and make them the same volume via the receiver.

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I agree with Cabreau. Also, your reciever, unless around the $1k range probably doesn't deliver 100W per channel, probably half that.

Any speaker should do as long as it does match the "timbre" and sound as close as possible.

good luck.

5. Kevin_To

Kevin_To Auditioning

I'm sorry to ask but do you all mean by "timbre"?

By the way, thanks for your repondse.

6. Kevin_To

Kevin_To Auditioning

I'm sorry to ask but what do you all mean by "timbre"?

By the way, thanks for your repondse.

7. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Timbre is matching drivers in the speakers across your front soundstage. For instance, you don't want to use a horn driven Klipsch for your center and then have Paradigm L/R's. They aren't TIMBRE matched. If you were to buy Paradigm Monitor series for your Fronts, you are better off sticking with Monitor series for your centers instead of using the Performance or Studio series.

I just bought the Paradigm Studio CC-470 for my center (which, by the way, FREAKIN ROCKS!), and instead of buying Monitor 7's as I had planned, I bought the Studio 20's for the same price (not at much depth as the 7's, but the mids and highs are crystal friggin clear as day) so that they would be timbre matched with my center. Anyway, WOW, these sound GOOOOOOOOOOD.

Hope that helps.

8. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Kevin,

Get away from the wattage thingy, its not the way to pick a speaker setup and or a receiver. Wattage does not and never will translate into how a speaker sounds or how well a receiver can drive them. What you have to do is goto some local dealers and demo some speaker and receivers. Then throw us a few names of what you have listened too and we can help. There is more to this game that watts.

Kevin