Upgrading Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mike_Priest, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Mike_Priest

Mike_Priest Auditioning

Hey all. I'm currently looking to upgrade the Sony Satelite and Sub Speaker package I bought for my HT about 3 years ago. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with another sub and satelite system, or go with seperates. I'd prefer the looks of the floor standing speakers, but I'm not sure if the sound is worth the extra money. Does anyone have any recommendations either way on 1)to go with either the Satelite package or seperates and 2)What name brands should I consider looking for. I'm running an Pioneer SDX811 Reciever that supports 6.1.

Thanks for any input fellas.
    -Mike

2. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

If you don't need the particularly wee size, larger speakers generally will have a richer sound over all and with bigger dynamics.

3. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

What is your budget? Of course I'm going to tell you Ascend Acoustics(ascendacoustics.com) and say go to the site and use the links to all the reviews. But, with a budget idea we can give you many options to look at.

4. Mike_Priest

Mike_Priest Auditioning

I'm running on a budget up to $1000... course I don't have the full $1000 available right now. What i was going to do is either save up the money to buy the satellite and sub package, or if I go the seperates route, I'll but pieces at a time.

5. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I have upgraded my system with speakers from JBL's studio series line. I am pleased with the improvement. You should be able to get everything for under $1000 if you buy from internet discounting dealers. I would avoid JBL subwoofers - they do not seem to have a real good reputation.

A few examples:

Center: JBL S-CenterII ($150)
    Front: JBL S-38II ($280)
    Surrounds: JBL S-36II ($230)
    Sub: Sony SA-WM40 ($130)

If you don't listen to a lot of two channel stereo you may want a system where all the speakers are the same:

Front & Surrounds: JBL S-26 ($400)
    Center: JBL S-Center
    Sub: Aperion Audio 8" sub ($400)

Or if you want to buy all at once and can go a little over Aperion Audio has some package deals starting at $1150. I haven't had the oppurtunity to listen to them but a lot of people rave about them.

Mark