What's new

Upgrading receiver questions about Denon 3802 vs yamaha 2200 (1 Viewer)

JonathanJ

Auditioning
My current system is as follows.
Harman Kardon AVR45
Bose 301(to be replaced with PSB Image 6T)
3 Marantz monoblocks 125W each
I would like to replace the HK receiver withint he next couple of weeks with either the yamaha 2200 or the Denon 3802. I've read posts about the two receivers but i have not seen any side by side comparisons, I assume because the yamaha was just released not too long ago.
One of my most frustrating issues with the HK was that I could not hear the rear channels. And once i added the monoblocks to the fronts, the rears were almost non-existant. To hear them i would have to turn the fronts all the way down and the rears all the way up. This is mainly due to the fact that the HK was pushing probably less then 45W to the rears, and i was getting 125W to the fronts. One of my concerns with buying a new receiver is that the monoblocks will overpower the rear channels. The denon is putting out 110W and the yammie has 100W per channel.
1. Will i still have to turn down the fronts with either of these receivers?
2. Denon $700 Yamaha $900 are 45 DSP modes worth 200 dollars?
3. Any other input? Comments?
Thanks for everyone's help. Sorry this was so long.
Jonathan

GordonL

Supporting Actor
The HK AVR45 has pre-outs for the surrounds so why not get two more Marantz monoblocks for the rears? Also, get yourself a RadioShack sound meter, the Avia Guide To Home Theater DVD, and calibrate your system. Total cost should be about half what you would have spent on a new receiver. The 5 monoblocks you would have would be far better than the amp sections in either of the receivers you're considering.

JonathanJ

Auditioning
I should have mentioned this, but another reason I've opted to upgrade is so that i can have a receiver in my bedroom as well. That was my initial reason for starting this crusade. I did however think about 2 more monoblocks or even an awesome 2 channel amp, but that doesn't accomplish my mission. Thanks for your reply.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jonathan,
First, welcome to the Forum!
What is the AVR 45’s rear power rating compared to the front? If it is significantly lower, then either the Yamaha or the Denon should take care of the level problem. Receivers these days have the same power to the rear as the front.
However, if the HK had equal power all around, then you can expect to have the same problem you are now when you get the new receiver. Unless the problem was somehow “operator error,” that is. :)
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks