Upgrading Receiver, need pros and cons on selection

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bryan*D, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Bryan*D

Bryan*D Extra

I'm upgrading my Receiver from a Sony STR DE675. Nothing but good things to say about it. Never had a problem.

New house being built, new Proficient in ceiling speakers, time to upgrade the Receiver. My builder has an Home Theater guy, so all my pre-wire is included in the House. How sweet is that. I'm getting a Component Video Run from the AV gear to the TV and need a Receiver with Component switching.

I'm currently looking at the following models. Please let me know pros and cons for them.

Sony STR DE995S (Great price on this, under $300)
    Harmon Kardon AVR330
    Yamaha HTR5760 or 90 (Never thought of Yamaha as a great Receiver, but lots of great things said about these two on this board)

Let me know what you all think.

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Drop the Sony ....if it isn't a ES it really isn't a receiver....
    Between the HK/Yammie you would have to go listen for yourself but the HK will be a little warmer(not so much in your face sounding)
    I have tested the HK230(nice) and now am testing the Yammie 5760 but I think my whole process has changes so i will be looking at higher end models.
    The 5760 is nice if you like all those DSP modes, YPAO(no paremetric setup) Nice if you don't have a SPL meter and avia though.
    The HK has logic 7 which people love.
    Give them a listen but trust me...if you have a Circuit city near you go listen to a Sony/Onkyo/HK...the sony will sound muddy and the Onkyo/HK will sound better.

3. Ray Tsui

Ray Tsui Stunt Coordinator

I would easily take the Yamaha over the H/K. The 90 is quite a better receiver than the 60 though. Personally I think that H/K has been going downhill for a while in regards to both sound and build quality.

While Yamaha is not a top tier brand, I think the stuff under $1000 made by Yamaha is hard to top, and they've been consistant in their quality for the last 15-20 years. A more forward presentation, maybe not as authoritative in impact, but overall, a nice smooth sound sometimes with a bit of brightness, and can handle most loads fine (at least the receivers I heard in the last five years). Above Yamaha, the more audiophile oriented brands are worth considering. I went shopping for NAD and Rotel to replace my Prologic NAD, and the Yamahas fared extremely well, and having the YPAO and the video upconversion on the 5790 won me over. Great bang for the buck. I'm surprised you never thought of Yamaha as good, their stuff has been quite a solid choice, not the best but you could do a LOT worse. A lot of people tout various value leaders from Kenwood, Pioneer but I think the Yamaha as a whole beat their sound quality in their respective price ranges. I liked the stuff from Marantz but they were also more expensive too.

The Sony is garbage (no offense to your current Sony), even stuff with ES is questionable as far as sound quality per $ ratio. I bought an ES amp in the eighties, and it was pretty good, but the stuff made after that in the nineties has been so-so, and I never ended up buying anther ES item again, even though I wanted to but there were always better sounding stuff from the others for less $. Sony IMHO has been always weak in receivers.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I own a Yamaha RXV-1400, identical to the 5790 but sold thru different marketing channels (Good Guys has RXV, BB has 5790). I've also owned a Pioneer VSX-45TX Elite, an msrp $1495 reciever that also has auto-setup.

Let me start by saying that if you're considering a receiver with auto setup, only consider those that also do an equalization of the speakers, they don't all do this.

One can very easily correctly calibrate speaker levels and distances with a tape measure, AVIA or other calibration disc, and a Radio Shack SPL meter, which is all that a non-equalizing auto calibration can do.

The eq is the rich buttercream frosting on the cake, however. Whether the graphic eq done by my Pioneer or the parametric done by the Yammie, it really makes a very noticeable improvement in the sound, most especially if your room acoustics are less than perfect or your speakers are perhaps not the most perfectly matched. Many receivers offer manual eq--I had an excellent Sony ES model with very versatile eq features--but one needs a lot more than just an spl meter and AVIA to correctly set it up.

Provided you have decent speakers in the first place (mine are fairly humble Energy bookshelf models combined with a HSU STF-2 sub) the auto eq can really go a long way toward improving the sound. When I first ran the auto setup on the Pioneer it actually sounded like I'd spent some bucks on a new set of speakers, and the yamaha parametric eq is even a tad better.

I've had 3 Yamahas over the years, all have been flawless as far as reliability and seemed to be plenty powerful enough. Rarely if ever will you find a thread here regarding an ongoing or common glitch or failure on a Yamaha reciever.

I paid $799 (full list from B&M, I like easy return priviledges and no-hassles with warranty) for the RXV-1400. The remote and user interface are not as good as the Pioneer Elite and the receiver itself isn't as pretty, but it performs at least as well and has a number of neat features the Pioneer lacks. I am of the belief that it's performance and features are comparable to if not better than some other receivers that are considerably more costly.

5. Bryan*D

Bryan*D Extra

[​IMG] Thanks for all the great information. The more and more I read about the Yamaha 5790, the more I like it. I definitely like the YPAO feature of the Yamaha.

My setup will be in the Great Room of my new house, Audio equipment above the fireplace, Sony 52in Widescreen in a corner, Sony Sub behind the TV, Polk Center channel on top of TV, 4 Proficient in-ceiling speakers (2 C810's and 2 C800's).

Getting the speakers configured correctly to my listening position and Component Video Switching are the two most important features to me in a Receiver.

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Again with the Sony, they’ve had fairly flexible quasi-parametric EQs. I managed to do dramatic improvement on my buddy’s system with it, but it required the help of an RTA.

But once again, it was a hassle to get to the thing and challenge to navigate it once you did. The worst part was that the settings are not global!. That’s right! They are tied to the soundfield you select. So, you have to set it up for each and every input, and for each soundfield you might use for a particular input. How ridiculous is that?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Ray Tsui

I agree, as for as user friendliness, some of the Sony's and Pioneers of recent past have been pretty horrific. The current Yamahas could use some work too, and their manuals really need help, but for the most part, I've figured it out, at least enough to get what I want out of it.

8. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

I would second the recommendations on the HTR-5790. I own one and the difference in sound between my previous receiver (older Kenwood) and the new Yammie with YPAO is night and day. It does make the same speakers sound like a completely different and better set. For my use as an amateur at all this HT stuff, the Yamaha gave me the best bang for the buck. I am, however, learning new things every day, but I don't regret buying the Yamaha. For a mid-range receiver, I don't think you can touch it. Of course, I am biased.

9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Bryan,

If you are considering the HTR-5790 receiver from Yamaha, also keep the RX-V1400 on your short list. According to Yamaha, internally, these receivers are the same. Just shop for the one where you can get the best price - and still maintain warranty coverage.

10. Jeramy_K

Jeramy_K Stunt Coordinator

We recently picked up a new Sony STR-DE897B for our living room system. Honestly I'm impressed at what this receiver delivers for the price. We use this system about 70% of the time. (TV, HDTV, XBox, occasional DVD, etc.) We have two weeks left to return it if we want but I think we'll be keeping it.

It's not going to replace our Anthem pre/pro setup in our home theater. But in our opinions (my wife and I) it's a keeper.

11. Bryan*D

Bryan*D Extra

Wayne,

You mention the RX V1400. I can't find any difference between that and the HTR 5790. Are there any differences?

12. Ray Tsui

Nope, the 1400 and the 5790 are exactly the same. Different dealers and different front panel design

13. Joseph.P

Joseph.P Auditioning

What is the HTR equivalent of the RX-V2400?

14. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

There is none as the 5790 is the highest model and that compares to the 1400.....