What's new

Upgrading question (1 Viewer)

Ryan Terry

Auditioning
I am thinking of upgrading my alpha 20 and primus c25 center to Polk Rti6 and Csi5. I am really not all that unhappy with the infinity's but I would like a set that is matched. I can do this for around $100 and was wondering what you guys think. I am fairly new to HT and have been visiting the board for a while but this is my first post. Any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks

Ryan

Ryan Terry

Auditioning
Anyone have any input on these speakers? Think it would make a difference in sound quality? If so please let me know! Thanks!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, Whether you upgrade or not, it has to depend on your preferences for sound.

For example, I have the Polk RTi8s and CSi3 for the center. For me, it seems like the Polks are more of a neutral sounding speaker. Also, to me, the Infinity speakers have a sound where the treble is a bit more pronounced - but, not in a "bright" sort of way. Again, this is just the impression that my deaf ears provide.

If you desire a more neutral sound, go for the Polk speakers. The RTi6s are preferred by most over the RTi8s in the Polk forum at Club Polk. I didn't want to be bothered with speaker stands, so I went with the RTi8s.

My suggestion to you would be to pull a good number of your favorite CDs and head to Circuit City - where you could demo the Alphas against the RTi6s - before they are all sold out. If the Alphas are gone, try the Betas - but, I have a feeling that their sound has changed a bit, so the comparison to the Polks might not be as true when comparing to your Alphas.

Ryan Terry

Auditioning
Wayne,
Thanks so much for your reply, I have read many of your posts previously and they have been very, very helpful. The big thing that I am trying to do is timbre match my speakers. From what I have read that seems to be really important. The Infinity set that I have now is form different lines so I don't think that they are matched. So in short I am trying to justify the money to upgrade to the Polks. One thing I do know is that the CSI5 is HUGE! They don't have one hooked up right now (only have 1 new speaker left) but I have read good things about it. Anyway, let me know what you think and thanks for your help!

Ryan

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,

After re-reading your post, I've found a couple of solutions:

1) You should still be able to find an Alpha center channel for a pretty good price, if you wanted to stay with the Infinity speakers. This would mean that you could then sell the Primus center channel to recover some of the costs. Again, this option would only apply if you were to have a desire to stay with Infinity.

2) Go for the Polks. Again, after looking at the options, I'd spend the $100 and get the Polk speakers.

Myself and some of the other comments that I've read from others have indicated that the sound from the Polk speakers was a bit more pleasing than the sound from the Infinity speakers. Then again, others might comment that they picked the sound of the Infinity Alphas over the Polks.

If you are able to play some CDs in the store to determine how the Polks sound to you, go for it. Once the Polks are gone from Circuit City, the great deals will also be gone. I don't think Tweeter will negotiate too far when it comes to selling the Polk RTi line. However, I was able to get 33% off my Polk RTi purchase from an authorized retailer in my area (not Tweeter and not Circuit City.)

I know what you mean about the CSi5 being a deep/big speaker. At 14" or so deep, I had to spring for the CSi3, so it would properly fit on my shelf. :)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,

After re-reading your post, I've found a couple of solutions:

1) You should still be able to find an Alpha center channel for a pretty good price, if you wanted to stay with the Infinity speakers. This would mean that you could then sell the Primus center channel to recover some of the costs. Again, this option would only apply if you were to have a desire to stay with Infinity.

2) Go for the Polks. Again, after looking at the options, I'd spend the $100 and get the Polk speakers.

Myself and some of the other comments that I've read from others have indicated that the sound from the Polk speakers was a bit more pleasing than the sound from the Infinity speakers. Then again, others might comment that they picked the sound of the Infinity Alphas over the Polks.

If you are able to play some CDs in the store to determine how the Polks sound to you, go for it. Once the Polks are gone from Circuit City, the great deals will also be gone. I don't think Tweeter will negotiate too far when it comes to selling the Polk RTi line. However, I was able to get 33% off my Polk RTi purchase from an authorized retailer in my area (not Tweeter and not Circuit City.)

I know what you mean about the CSi5 being a deep/big speaker. At 14" or so deep, I had to spring for the CSi3, so it would properly fit on my shelf. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks