Upgrading question. So Confused!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jerry_, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Jerry_

Jerry_ Auditioning

I have a yamaha 5250 reciever and i'm ordering a svs pb10 in 3 days. My room is apx 12ftx15ft but it's completely open into the kitchen all together about 12x30. There are no stores around here that have quality speakers so i just have base my purchases on majority. I'm going to use my existing klh's for the surrounds for now. I was thinking about a Polk csi3 for the center and some polk rti4's for the mains. Are these pretty sweet speakers? Or are there better ones for about the same price if not alittle more? Any info would be GREAT.
    I am also looking at the paradigms do these have better clarity then the polks the titans maybe? Which ones would compare similiar price and clarity wise? Don't know if my reciever might need any upgradin also!

2. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

I have some RTi4's that I use for surrounds. They sound very good and I would recommend any of Polks RTi or Lsi speakers.

3. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Don't know the current pricing on the speakers you're asking about. What's your budget?

4. Jerry_

Jerry_ Auditioning

roughly $150-$300 center and about $250-$350 mains

5. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

6. Jerry_

Jerry_ Auditioning

so out of those 4 you would prefer the paradigm atoms? What about the center channel?

7. Jerry_

Jerry_ Auditioning

Here is my verdict. I'm going with a csi3 center and since i'm undecided between 4 speakers for the mains instead of picking from a hat i'm going to let ebay pick for me. whatever i get the best deal on i'm going with them! I'm sure whichever wins will sound great. I mean it's alright to have different name brand stuff every where isnt it? csi3 center, svs sub, and either paradigms, rti4's, ascends, or infinity primus 150 for mains. And i'm going to use my existing klh's for surrounds for now.

8. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

No its not o.k. to have different speakers all around. Your L/C/R should at a minimum be from the same manufacture and preferably contain the same drivers.

9. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Like Victor said - your front three speakers should match. All of the manufacturers listed make center channels for those speakers. You don't have to use a center channel speaker. You can use one of the speakers for the center too and not get a center channel specific speaker. Several factors need to be consider...display type, are the speakers video shielded, placement of the speaker. Some even say that to get the best results you need three identical speakers across the front. However, you're fine having a sub from a different manufacturer. You're also okay using your KLH for surrounds, but you'll want to upgrade those eventually.

Best advice is to listen to as many as possible, but the one you like the best, and get the best speaker you can afford.

10. Jerry_

Jerry_ Auditioning

I have heard great things about the polk csi3 will the rti4's match? I have found the matching center for the infitity's, but i don;t know which one is the matching center for the paradigm atoms...

11. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    The RTi4's would be a nice fit for the CSi3. I strongly suggest you get another set of 4's for surrounds when you can, or better yet, get a pair of RTi6's for the fronts and move the 4's to the rear. I have 6's up front, 4's in the back and a CSi5 center and it's a very nice setup.

12. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor