Upgrading Power Cord on TV?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike Kao, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

Hi,

I just got a new RPTV, and I was wondering if upgrading the powercord would potentially make a significant difference. I know in the audio world with receivers, amps and cd-players, it's touted to make quite a difference, and I've heard it making a difference in the video section of dvd players, so why not go to the source of the picture and upgrade the TV's cord? Most TV powercords I see are very thin, probably 20+ guage wire, and it seems to me that it leaves much room for improvement. What do you guys think?

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I really don't think that upgrading the power cord will make a difference.

If by slight chance you do get a slight improvement by upgrading it, it could be due to:

1. The TV draws enough power that heavier conductors are helpful. First, try a heavier gauge extension cord if applicable. The power cord to th TV itself is quite short, about 7 feet, so the loss of power in thin wires is quite minimal.

2. If you can find and upgrade to a shielded power cable, less interference may be picked up by nearby video cables.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Matt_Doug

Matt_Doug Stunt Coordinator

teflon insulated conductors (may not be necessary given the short lengths) with foil shielding, braid shielding and a drain wire, bonded to the ground pin at the plug end of the cable only to shunt air born emi/rfi to ground is more important than wire gauge which should be 18 AWG min. You can get suggestions at www.venhaus1.com under DIY AC Power Cables. BUT!!!! this is only effective against air born emi/rfi. And will do nothing for noise picked up by a circuit that uses unshielded conductors.