Upgrading old system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Griffith, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

I have an extremely old HT system, and have been upgrading it throughout the year.

The last bits I need, is the Reciever and the Speakers (maybe)

Several questions attached:

I'm looking at the STR-DE985 (Sony) it has 6.1 capabilities and can be hooked to speakers in 2 zones (Have house wired for speakers in Dining room)
    I'm also looking at the V5X-D811S (Pioneer) Its says something about being 7.1 compatable, which might be nice in the future if its true.

Any users have experience with either of these?

Speakers:
    I have at the Moment:
    Bose Accustamass 5 System, Center Pioneer, and Pioneer Rears. The pioneers max Watts is only 50-75. Both of those recievers have 100 watts per channel. So I figure its best that my speakers be 100W or great. Am I wrong in this?

So I figure I need new speakers. I want something that will work, and sound good. I've looked and seen lots of things that look good, but I have no idea which brand sounds good. I went to Bestbuy and they seem to have JBL speakers hooked up to all their things that require speakers. JBL isn't priced horribly high but it is at the limit of what I want to spend. Is there a better or equal speaker for less out there.

Package speaker systems are a nice Idea (Get the Sub and the 5 other speakers in one box) however I would need one more for the 6th channel. I could get one othe similar speaker and just plug it it but would it "work" with the rest.
    Simplest thing would be to buy a 6.1 package speaker system but I haven't seen any.
    Also looking at floow speakers. you get a pair and each has a subwoofer in it, along with the tweeters and mid range speaker sets. Are these good for 6.1 HT systems?

Lastly given a standard setup for a 6.1 speaker set-up (3 front, 3 back) where does the 7th speaker go in a 7.1 HT system?

Thanks for you help in advanced

2. Bill Griffith

Sorry for the receiver question, I'll ask that one else where. [​IMG]

3. Bill Griffith

Also should I be looking for a high watt system? Is the wattage just related to the volum level or does it have some other uses. Prices seem to be considerable less for lesser wattage speaker systems.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Bill. Lots of questions there. Lets see...
    First, ignore the wattage numbers on the speakers. They are only rough guidelines. You SHOULD look at the impedence value. Many receivers only want you to hook up 8 ohm nominal impedence speakers to avoid over-heating. The 6/4 ohm speakers are more demanding of the electronics.

5. Bill Griffith

Doubt I'll actually buy from Bestbuy or any of the other stores, prices seem to be way cheaper online.

I'll check out the sight you posted, thanks. These speakers I get are purely for movies. I'll run my music off something else.

6. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

But what is the budget you have to work with?