What's new

Upgrading Old Setup... (1 Viewer)

Jason=F

Grip
I'm looking to upgrade my OLD A/V setup. I would like to re-use some of the old equipment, but some of it obviously needs to be upgraded...

Current Setup:
Carver HR-895 Receiver (only Dolby ProLogic)
Samsung DVD Player (not progressive scan)
Paradigm CC-50 Center Channel
(2)Altec Lansing Model 20 for Front Speakers
(2)Altec Lansing Model 56 for Rear Speakers (indoor/outdoor)
Altec Lansing PSW10 Subwoofer

My Thoughts:
1. Obviously, I need a source w/ 6.1 or 7.1.
2. I want to re-used my fronts and subwoofer
3. Optimally, I would like to find another Altec Lansing Model 20 to use as a center channel (in lieu of the Paradigm) so all of my front speakers match.
4. I need to find a new set of rear speakers (something smaller maybe), then I would use the Model 56's for rear centers.

Some questions I have:
My Carver can be used as an amp if I purchase a Pre-Amp. Do you think it is worth it, or should I just get a new receiver w/ built-in amp? My budget is ~$600, for this project. The other thing is that the Carver doesn't exactly match the rest of my components, so if I'm not gaining alot I'd rather just replace it.

How important is it for me to have matching rear speakers? Do you think newer Altec Lansing speakers will match with the older models I have? Or should I be on the look-out for some older speakers like mine? Anyone know of places to look for older speakers (asside from ebay)?

I want to get a new DVD palyer that is progressive scan in the future, however, is my thinking correct that I would be better off spending my money on a 6.1 or 7.1 receiver before replacing the DVD player?

Thanks for the help...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With the Carver being 5.1 only since it is prologic, you've already answered most of that question; you would need an additional amp to run the rear center(s). At $600, you only option for a pre- would be used, and you still would likely have a hard time finding a used 6/7.1 pre at that price. At that price you have a lot of good choices in receivers though.

I would replace the receiver first.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm with John, I’d get the receiver. IMO the improvement audio-wise going from Pro-Logic to Dolby Digital is more dramatic than the improvement video-wise of upgrading to progressive scan, especially if you don’t have a TV with the proper inputs.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jason=F

Grip
Great, I'll start researching A/V Receivers. I have a 36" Sony WEGA and I'm not sure on the inputs, what kind of inputs would I be looking for exactly?

Thanks John and Wayne for the reply. :)

Jason=F

Grip
After contacting Altec Lansing it seems as if the Model 20's were produce prior to 1986. I'm amazed by this, these speaker are in EXCELLENT shape for being constructed almost 20+ years ago and I feel they sound good. If I saw them in a showroom tomorrow I wouldn't question them. However, I have a feeling I need to get my hands on a different set of speakers to compare them to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks