What's new

Upgrading my optical digital cable (1 Viewer)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Bob, that Music vs HT was extremely well put. I've been saying something similar all along, but the way you nailed it down is perfect. :emoji_thumbsup:

I got rid of all the optical digital cables in my system and changed to digital coax. Mine is tailored to music reproduction though, and in my tests, digital coax was slightly better (given the cables I used). In any case, I do have my two Monster THX1000 1m fibre for sale. :)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Bob, that Music vs HT was extremely well put. I've been saying something similar all along, but the way you nailed it down is perfect. :emoji_thumbsup:

I got rid of all the optical digital cables in my system and changed to digital coax. Mine is tailored to music reproduction though, and in my tests, digital coax was slightly better (given the cables I used). In any case, I do have my two Monster THX1000 1m fibre for sale. :)

Philip>L

Stunt Coordinator
Toslink connections are the cheapest available to manufacturers, which is why they are so popular.

It has been shown the Toslink connections are much more prone to clock timing issues (jitter) than digital coax or some of the higher end digital connections.

When available, I always use digital coax or better.

Philip>L

Stunt Coordinator
Toslink connections are the cheapest available to manufacturers, which is why they are so popular.

It has been shown the Toslink connections are much more prone to clock timing issues (jitter) than digital coax or some of the higher end digital connections.

When available, I always use digital coax or better.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
I'm not sure how correct this is, but I have also been told that optical is less accurate than digital coax because of the conversion to light and then back to a digital signal.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
I'm not sure how correct this is, but I have also been told that optical is less accurate than digital coax because of the conversion to light and then back to a digital signal.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
On the other hand, especially with DTS or AC-3 bitstreams, if it's working, changing the cable isn't going to matter, period.

Optical glass cable is great for those 3+ mile runs, but generally isn't that significant. I'm not real fond of the mechanics of the Toslink connector, so my personal bias is for a decent 75ohm BNC digital coax... (I like a good BNC. Nice and reliable.)

I'm a little surprised that most devices with digital inputs of any kind don't have some sort of re-clocking mechanism - I can't imagine it really costs anything (on the manufacturing scale,) and if you're doing AC-3 or DTS, it has to be reclocked anyway.

Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
On the other hand, especially with DTS or AC-3 bitstreams, if it's working, changing the cable isn't going to matter, period.

Optical glass cable is great for those 3+ mile runs, but generally isn't that significant. I'm not real fond of the mechanics of the Toslink connector, so my personal bias is for a decent 75ohm BNC digital coax... (I like a good BNC. Nice and reliable.)

I'm a little surprised that most devices with digital inputs of any kind don't have some sort of re-clocking mechanism - I can't imagine it really costs anything (on the manufacturing scale,) and if you're doing AC-3 or DTS, it has to be reclocked anyway.

Leo Kerr

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Many people forget that with a coaxial-digital cable, the "shield" actually ties the zero-volt reference of your DVD player to your reciever. This sometimes has a small effect as it can introduce or reduce noise in the signal ground. This could be why some people hear a difference between coaxial & optical.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Many people forget that with a coaxial-digital cable, the "shield" actually ties the zero-volt reference of your DVD player to your reciever. This sometimes has a small effect as it can introduce or reduce noise in the signal ground. This could be why some people hear a difference between coaxial & optical.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks