Upgrading my older titles, need help

Discussion in 'DVD' started by KyleC, Jun 16, 2004.

1. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

I've been buying DVD's since they first came out. I plan to get an HDTV sometime in the near future (if I can talk the wife into it [​IMG]). Her job has a section in their e-mail where they can sell things. So, I thought I'd take a chance and sell some of my older DVD's so I could upgrade. (Thank god for people who don't read HTF) [​IMG]

Here's the list of movies I've sold or selling in favor of either a better transfer or an SE/DC. Could you tell me the best version currently available or planned?

-Wrath of Khan (getting the DC)
    -All TNG movies (I know Generation's SE is coming but what about the others?)
    -Jurassic Park (sold the DD and am getting the DTS ver)
    -Top Gun
    -Days of Thunder
    -Mission Impossible
    -Contact
    -The Fifth Element (stepping up to Superbit)
    -Titanic

Titles I don't have but want to buy:
    -Dances with Wolves (Theatrical cut)
    -12 Monkeys
    -Casablanca
    -Crimson Tide (what happend to the planned SE?)

Any help is appreciated.

2. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

I've been buying DVD's since they first came out. I plan to get an HDTV sometime in the near future (if I can talk the wife into it [​IMG]). Her job has a section in their e-mail where they can sell things. So, I thought I'd take a chance and sell some of my older DVD's so I could upgrade. (Thank god for people who don't read HTF) [​IMG]

Here's the list of movies I've sold or selling in favor of either a better transfer or an SE/DC. Could you tell me the best version currently available or planned?

-Wrath of Khan (getting the DC)
    -All TNG movies (I know Generation's SE is coming but what about the others?)
    -Jurassic Park (sold the DD and am getting the DTS ver)
    -Top Gun
    -Days of Thunder
    -Mission Impossible
    -Contact
    -The Fifth Element (stepping up to Superbit)
    -Titanic

Titles I don't have but want to buy:
    -Dances with Wolves (Theatrical cut)
    -12 Monkeys
    -Casablanca
    -Crimson Tide (what happend to the planned SE?)

Any help is appreciated.

3. DougFND

DougFND Second Unit

I'm fairly certain there is only one DVD version of Titanic. I haven't heard anything about a newer one, although one would think that the top-grossing movie of all time would be due for some kind of special-edition. The current version is pretty bare-bones. From what I hear, the absolute best version to have (at least for sound) is the DTS laserdisc.

I'm also pretty sure this is only version out there each of Top Gun, Mission Impossible, Days of Thunder and Contact.

As for the TNG movies, Generations SE is due out later in the year by most accounts. There have been no announcements on First Contact, Insurrection or Nemesis. Nemesis got a pretty decent release initially anyway.

4. DougFND

DougFND Second Unit

I'm fairly certain there is only one DVD version of Titanic. I haven't heard anything about a newer one, although one would think that the top-grossing movie of all time would be due for some kind of special-edition. The current version is pretty bare-bones. From what I hear, the absolute best version to have (at least for sound) is the DTS laserdisc.

I'm also pretty sure this is only version out there each of Top Gun, Mission Impossible, Days of Thunder and Contact.

As for the TNG movies, Generations SE is due out later in the year by most accounts. There have been no announcements on First Contact, Insurrection or Nemesis. Nemesis got a pretty decent release initially anyway.

5. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

I just picked up the DTS Jurassic and Pitch Black (older unrated version) from Amazon.

6. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

I just picked up the DTS Jurassic and Pitch Black (older unrated version) from Amazon.

7. Drew Salzan

Drew Salzan Second Unit

The 2 disc SE of Casablanca is far superior to the single disc one released 6 years ago; pristine transfer and tons more of supplemental material.

8. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

There is only one version of Contact, and I have never heard of a new one being planned. It is a gorgeous transfer IMHO, and can be found for really cheap in some places. The Digital Bits had info today that a special edition of Top Gun could be out soon.