What's new

Upgrading my living room (long) (1 Viewer)

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
I don't have a dedicated HT room or anything like that, just surround sound in my living room. I attached a pic of the basic layout of the room.

My system is around 6 years old and I'd like to improve on some of the "entry level" stuff I have, but I'm on a tight budget. I can afford about $200-250 a month. Currently my equipment is:

Yamaha RX-V620 5.1 receiver
2 JBL N-24 speakers
1 JBL N-Center
1 Generic Sony subwoofer from an old HT in a box
2 Generic stereo speakers
27" panasonic TV

Originally I had 4 N-24 speakers. It was a package deal that I researched a lot and folks said they were a really great system for the price and were timbre matched perfectly. It produced great sound but tradgedy struck one day when moving furniture around, 1 of them fell off the stand, bounced around 20 times on the hardwood floor and from then on it always buzzed real bad when played. So, I replaced the 2 fronts with speakers off of an old shelf stereo. Still sounds ok but the sound nowadays is more "front and back" sounding instead of "all around".

My first thought was to bring the good n-24's to the front and get some new surrounds that are smaller.. these N24s are kind of big for wall speakers and stick out like a sore thumb in the room. But some the smaller speakers I've seen just kind of look cheapy and I also worry that the sound won't match the other speakers as well. As far as looks go I'd like to try and get something that hangs right on the wall without needing extra mounting brackets and I kind of like the wedge shaped speakers. I was looking around at Best Buy and the have a JBL speaker pair in the shape but it's kinda big.. the JBL Balcony. I think though since the room is painted whiteish, a white speaker might go really well and blend in a bit better.

Or am I better off leaving the N-24's in the back, and getting 2 larger sized bookshelf speakers in the front? I still can't spend much more than what I had planned for the rear speakers.. and i was hoping to eventually get 2 floor speakers for the front.

The rear speakers are aimed at each other and mounted on the wall about 2-3 ft above my head. When I was first setting everything up I read that that was one of the best ways to get the best surround effect, though a buddy of mine who used to work installing HTs for rich folks insists it's better off behind where you sit.. but there's a good 5-6 ft between the back wall and the sofa.. and the steps are in the way too, so I just don't think that will work.

So, my first though is to stick with JBL but I'm sure there's other stuff out there that sounds just as good. If I were to pick a different brand, how do I go about making sure they're "matched" ? Do I need funky sound meters and a physics degree to figure it out?

I think at this point what I'd like to get is a decent set of rear speakers that aren't huge, preferably white, and preferably wedge shaped. I don't really have much besides Best Buy & Circuit City around here, and a big high end HT place, but I already know I can't afford anything they sell :) I do know of a Tweeter, but i's kind of a hike. I'm looking for a pair of speakers being no more than $300, but preferably closer to $200, and I don't know if I would want to buy something online, because I'd like to hear it first. Anyone know of anything I should look into? Or am I better off with keeping what I have in the back and going with something better in the front? I mean, the front is where most of the sound will be coming from anyway...

Next on the list after this would be a good subwoofer that will compliment the system, but that's about a month off... it would also have to be under $300.

Anyway tha's all for now, thanks for reading! :)

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
Oh, oops, something I forgot to mention.

I will eventually be upgrading the receiver. As everything good seems to be 7.1 nowadays, if I were to put in 2 additional surround speakers, what would be the best bet? just hang em on the wall behind the sofa? Like I was saying before it's a pretty good distance from the sofa to the back wall .. would that be a problem, sound-wise? And I guess whatever speakers I would go with should be the same as what I get for the other 2 surrounds?

And, as I hope to wire my speakers through the walls, what kind of cables do I want to use? I'm guessing normal monster cable speaker wire isn't for going inside walls, or does it not matter?

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit

Use speaker cables which are in-wall (this is typically called CL-rated).

You do NOT need to use Monster's overpriced stuff. Using the same gauge, Monster brand cables are no better than the speaker cable you can buy in bulk at your Home Depot or Lowes, etc. Monster cables wiill NOT offer any audio improvement at all. This is the dirty little secret that no dealer wants you to know. Even the major review magazines will usually "omit" this fact as they are afraid of offending one of their biggest advertisers. So, they just do not mention it...

Instead, just use a nice thick gauge (I used 12 gauge, but 14 is certainly thick enough.) Make certain it is CL-Rated, and you are good to go.

Other good sources for reasonably-priced speaker cable (which will offer you sound which is as good as any speaker cable you can buy, assuming the same gauges):

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=374

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...d=10239&style=

Hope this helps,

-Bruce
-Personalized Custom Home Theater Introductions: http://www.S2Digital.com

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
Thanks for the info :)

And yeah I was brainwashed by monster cable when I was first starting out.. all of my cables were Monster till learned for myself that there's really no difference.. but I have this giant spool of speaker wire that I bought.. no real need to replace the old cables till I need the in wall stuff. I will probably just use what seems good from Home Depot when the time comes. Wasn't sure what kind though so I'll stick with 12 guage then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks