What's new

Upgrading my HT system one unit at a time - First UP - NEW RECEIVER! (1 Viewer)

Mark Sosik

Auditioning
Hey Guys I need some assistance with a receiver selection. I have followed HT forum for about 6 years and used some advice in selecting a TV but I need to upgrade my old Sony DA 777ES receiver ASAP, it just died. My other current components are:

Toshiba 65HM167 DLP 1080P Rear Projection
Sony STR DA777ES (this is what I am upgrading)
Sony PS3 - used for gaming and Bluray. I also have a Wii
Sony CDP-C245 CD Player
Vienna Acoustic Bach Fronts
Vienna Acoustic Haydn Rears
Vienna Acoustic Theatro Center
Velodyne CT-100 Subwoofer (the next thing I need to upgrade)

I am not an audiophile expert so here is where I need help. I want a mid price range receiver for around $500 (give or take a little depending on best quality) that will be able to get the optimal performance out of the rest of my components. I think I want full True HD decoding as well as being able to utilize HDMI to transmit both audio and video from the receiver and the PS3, Comcast HD dual tuner DVR and TV. I use this system primarily for movies and TV as my CD player is outdated. The majority of the music that will be listened to will be through digital cable music or my ipod. Should I be concerned about trying to get THX certified or is that not in my price range?

Quick facts about my entertainment room. It is mostly rectangular 20'x16' but due to a bow in the back wall and offset of the main viewing couch the positioning of the rear speakers is not optimal. I don't notice the weird shape distorting my current audio and I assume that the room is sufficient in size to warrant a minimum of 100 watts per channel?

Any other connectivity suggestions based on my current components would also be appreciated!

Thanks!
Mark

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Regarding THX certification, it is not necessary. There are hundreds (thousands?) of products out there that more than meet THX standards, but they do not spend the money to have George Lucas slap the THX letters on the products as it would increase costs.

That is not to say that THX certification has no value, but one can find equal or better quality from non-certified products.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You want something that supports the new HD audio formats found on BluRay like the H/K-2600, Denon-790/1910, Marantz-5003, Pioneer-Elite-VSX21 and VSX-23 and Onkyo-607 Or check out these Onkyo-Factory-Refurb receivers. They come with a factory warranty. The Onkyo 607 might be the one I'd leave off the list. I just mentioned it to give you a less expensive alternative.

Should I be concerned about trying to get THX certified or is that not in my price range?

I wouldn't worry about THX rating. Any of the receivers I mentioned would sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks