upgrading my DVD to...Toshiba SD5700?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonKrol, Jan 29, 2002.

1. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

Hey All,

Im looking at the Toshiba SD5700 and I really like the sounds of it. I read a review of it recently in Home Theater Mag and was impressed with the remarks that it received. Im wondering if anyone else can provide some feedback. Should I go with this DVD player? I think it would make a perfect fit into my existing HT as i have a new Toshiba 50H81 (I read earlier in here that this DVD player actually outputs 540p as does the TV display 540p - thus the Cinema Series??)

Any information is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Jason,

Same video as the SD-9200. This means chroma bug (minor) and Genesis deinterlacing artifacts (not the best deinterlacing on the planet). These aren't the be all and end all of performance. IOW, look at the picture and decide for yourself.

If you can, check out a couple of other options, like the Panasonic RP-56 and RP-91 as well as the JVC XV-SA75GD. These are all in the ballpark of the SD-5700 and worth consideration as alternative solutions.

That being said, as a budget DVD-Audio player it's not bad at all, and does sound better than the JVC on DVD-Audio.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, no consumer DVD player outputs 540p.

Regards,

3. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I actually downgraded from the Panasonic 91 to the Tosh 4700. I figure I'll wait out the time until a dvd player can handle DVD-A, SACD + bass management.

The Panny was superior, but not to the tune of $400! I picked up my Toshiba new from Ubid for $189.00. I don't use my DVD player for CD's, so I didn't consider the 5700.

I now use the interlaced output, since I got a Pioneer Elite 610 TV, which does better with an interlaced rather than progressive input. So, I can't really compare the progressive performance between the Panasonic & Toshiba.

It's amazing to me that a $200 player is better than the $1000 players from just a year ago!

4. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

thanks for the info.

although im still undecided..maybe I will try to see if I can go to a highend audio/video place around me that has calibrated sets to demo these DVD players on.

back to researching I go.

thanks again!!