What's new

Upgrading my decoder... What to expect? (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm upgrading my DD decoder soon. I'm replacing my Onkyo ED-901 with a used Adcom ADD1 which I will also use as an external DAC for CD and MiniDisc. What should I expect? DO you think it will be a lot better? I hope I'm not wasting my money!

JohanK

Second Unit
Hi Philip. The Adcom GDD-1 is a nice unit but I wouldn't expect startling differences from the Onkyo when decoding DD; I would expect improvement with the Adcom when comparing the two units strictly as stereo preamp/DAC, however. But, I have not used either unit so this is just speculation (read: insane ramblings of a madman). Best of luck.
------------------
kod.gif
"Resistance is FUTILE!" -- The (HOME THEATER) BORG Link Removed

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm fairly sure that the Adcom uses the exact same (early) Motorolla DSP chipset to decode the Dolby Digital bitstream as my ED-901. However, I would expect that the DACs that are fed by that decoded bitstream are superior. At least I hope so. One thing this will definitely do is simplify my wiring. Right now I have two somewhat cheap db25 to RCA adapters. One going from my ED901 to my Milennium 2.4.6, and the other going from the 2.4.6 to my receiver, using a computer gender changer because the receiver uses the wrong gender DB25.
With the Adcom I can go from the dts decoder 6 channel out to the Adcom 6 channel in, then use the single Onkyo DB25 to go from the decoder to the receiver. Should be easier with less cluttered cable mess (the whole idea behind the DB25 connectore in the first place).
However, the Gdd-1 does not do video switching (all DD decoders should IMO) so I'll need to keep the ED901 in service as an S-video switch until I get a dedicated one. Not sure this "upgrade" is worth my while. I hope the stereo DAC is fantastic.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker
Thsnks to all who came to my meet the 13th. Thanks especially to Andrej for bringing the SVS, Frank for the mouse pads and mugs, and for Phil for the "Phantom Menace" LaserDisc, which blew everyone away! No thanks to the gremlins who fiddled with my DTS decoder settings before the meet! Pictures coming soon!

JohanK

Second Unit
Philip, I thought the GDD1 uses the 56009 chip just like the Milly but not sure. Don't know about the DACs, but Adcom does like to use Burr-Browns on some of their CD players.
I'm kinda in the same boat as you. Can't afford a great preamp so I'm dinkin' around with standalone decoders that I buy on the used market. I use the Denon AVD2000 DD decoder (no switching either) and I just bought the Milly from a fellow HTF member; should be here next week. I use a separate DPL preamp (Angstrom 200) and, of course, amplifiers. Wiring is a mess.
Let me know how you like the Adcom unit; maybe I'll spring for one if I find one cheap.
Best of luck.
------------------
kod.gif

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm strongly devoted to the concept of older and used gear. I got my Onkyo 919 used in mint condition for $400. With good external decoders it's arguably as good as anything in the $2K class right now. Can I afford a $2k receiver? Hell no! Eventually I'll pick up a nice pre/pro and use the fine Onkyo amps only (it's got a re-out/power in loop). You can get MUCH MORE than you pay for if you don't need the "latest and greatest".
You're going to like the Milly, it's the bees knees. The only two downfalls of the unit are no balance on thre rears and a subtle built in EQ curve. Other than that it's terriffic. Buur-Brown DACs, MSB designed and built, high build quality, neato blue lights, flexibility. I really like mine.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker
Thsnks to all who came to my meet the 13th. Thanks especially to Andrej for bringing the SVS, Frank for the mouse pads and mugs, and for Phil for the "Phantom Menace" LaserDisc, which blew everyone away! No thanks to the gremlins who fiddled with my DTS decoder settings before the meet! Pictures coming soon!

JohanK

Second Unit
Philip, I received my Millenium yesterday but not the DTS test disc. Are there any test discs that you know of that send a DTS signal so I can set channel levels? Thanx.
------------------
kod.gif
Equipment List

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks