What's new

Upgrading my center ch speaker! (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am looking to upgrade my current center channel that is not cutting it anymore. I am currently using a Polk Audio CS100 for my center channel and it can not keep up with my Altec Voice of the Theater cabnets. I have looked at NHT, Infinity, JBL, Klipsch, Paradigm and B&W. I currelty have a 31" Toshiba tv that will be upgraded to ether a Mitsubishi Diamond HD set, Pioneer Elite HD or a HD ready Sony DPL projector hooked up to a Faroudja scaler. I am concidering the Klipsch center with dual 8" woofers and a hord tweeter that I feel would match my Altecs. The Altecs have dual 15" woofers so I have a decent amount of bass. The Polk is not as efficient or dynamic as the Altecs. Does anyone know of any other center channel speaker with large woofers that could keep up with the Altecs I use for the main channel? Would love to hear your input. What ever brand I end up with as a center I will update my rear speakers to as well. My goal is to end up with a very dynamic, detailed, clean audiophile system. I listen to 60% movies/40% music and detail is very important to me. I like very dynamic sound that makes me feel like I am there. I only wish JBL made the center channel that would match my cryteria. Every JBL center I have seen has small woofers in them and it would be no better than the Polk I have now.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year :)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I think that you would do well with the Klipsch center. I have a Klipsch KV-2 center that I am very pleased with. It is not overly bright as some people report and the bass that I get from it is impressive for a center. The model that you are considering has larger drivers so you will probably get even better bass than I do. Be aware that Klipsch speakers are not shielded real well so if you place one on top of a direct view TV, you are likely to get some chroma distortion. Also keep in mind that Klipsch speakers are very efficient and put out a lot of volume with very little wattage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks