Upgrading mobo and cpu: WinXP going to have a problem?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Neal_C, May 11, 2004.

1. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

I have decided to upgrade my gaming computer to an Asus K8V SE Deluxe mobo and Amd Athlon 64 3000+ from an Asus A7N8X Deluxe and Athlon XP 1800+.

Is Win XP going to have a problem with this much of a hardware change? I have put in different video cards and hard drives but haven't ever replaced the "guts" of the computer before under XP.

Its just the gaming computer, so I could just backup my saved games and reinstall, but really don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Thanks,

Neal

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I may be incorrect, but I don't think you can change the mobo and cpu without making major changes to Windows. In fact, I'm not sure if you can do it without reformatting. Even if you can, it would probably be easiest to just reformat.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

You will need to do a complete reinstall of Windows in you're making hardware changes at that level.

4. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Thanks guys, that is what I figured. I guess I will get to see how long it takes Win XP to install on the new Athlon 64 processor vs just the regular XP processor.

5. Robert Houghton

It will work just doing a repair to XP. I did this months ago updating motherboard and processor. I went from AMD to Intel, Doing as a repair, you don't have to reload all your programs. You will have to do XP1a and update all of the critical updates. No matter which way you decide to do this, you will have to reactivate, no big deal.

6. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Robert,

Thanks for the info on doing just a repair.

By reactivate, you mean that I will just have to re-enter the serial number? Or call MS?

Neal

7. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

8. DarrenHo

DarrenHo Stunt Coordinator

i have heard but haven't tried that you can delete the devices that are going to be changed under device manager. shut down and swap the components, then start up machine again. i always just reinstall.

9. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I'll vote for a reinstall as well, it's a lot cleaner.

You'll have to call microsoft and tell the CSR that you upgraded and he'll give you a new activation code.

10. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Seems like it is probably faster and cleaner to just reinstall instead of having to call MS. I will probably just do that.

Thanks guys,

Neal

11. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

Reinstall will require a call to MS for a new activation code. You will probably end up with fewer headaches if you do the re-install than a repair.

12. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

I will have to call MS and get a new activation code even if I do a new reinstall?

13. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Only if you've done 5, I believe that's the right number, installs with your Windows copy. Either way, the call is painless. Fresh install the only way to go, nothing worse than a "dirty" OS.

14. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

That sounds a little better Wayne. I think I have only done one reinstall so far so hopefully I won't encounter any issues.

My new parts come in tomorrow from Newegg. I was going to go back to CompUsa and get the PNY 5900SE that I returned (because of a computer deal that doesn't appear to be happening now)or preorder an ATI x800pro to round out my system, but I happened to stumble upon a brand new ATI 9800pro for $200 after a $50 rebate. The next gen cards can wait for now until prices come down.

But anyway, I'm off topic in my own thread [​IMG]

Neal

15. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I did a couple a motherboard swap (From an Epox KT133/Athlon 750/orig Radeon to a KT333/Athlon 1800+/Radeon 8500, and I was impressed with how well Windows XP handled them. It went nuts for about 15 minutes or so installing/uninstalling. Not like the mess Win98 created.

If it's not too painful, it's still probably better to install fresh.

16. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

As an update, I installed my new mobo, cpu, some additional ram, new graphics card, floppy drive and dvd burner into the system today. Win XP spent about 5 minutes loading its drivers and I was back in business.

I haven't looked at the registry to see if its a jumbled mess, but windows seems to be running fine and my 3dMark scores seem pretty decent. So for now, I think I will just leave well enough alone.

Thanks for everyones tips.

Neal