What's new

Upgrading Klipsch RP-3's?? (1 Viewer)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I posted a message on the Klipsch Message boards on the forum "Upgrading Older Speakers", and I was pretty much shot down. Apparently, you need 30 year old speakers before anyone will even talk about upgrades. Apparently, I would be messing with the delicate balance of the universe or something...ANYWAYS..

I have a set of RP-3's. These are similar to the RF-3's, except for the built-in 10" subwoofer firing from the sides. My problem is, the drivers Klipsch used, imho are not up to the task. They bottom out pretty easily and can't handle LOW bass at even normal levels.

For example, at a volume where I would normally listen to movies, the opening scene in Toy Story 2 makes my subs sounds awful. They pop like they are bottoming out. They probably are.

What I want to do is pick up two of the 10" drivers from Klipsch from their RSW-10. These are their cerametallic drivers and are probably better drivers all-around.

Am I insane for wanting to try this? Am I going to ruin the dynamics of the speakers if I try this? It sounds reasonable to me.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
No, what you suggested will likely not work. Sorry. The RSW-10 drivers probably aren't much better than what's already in your RP-3s and the tower's internal volume wouldn't be enough for good deep bass. The real solution is to set the RPs to small and get a good external subwoofer. Big movie bass is not going to be good for those towers.

The money spent on 2 RSW-10 drivers (probably $150+) is much better put towards a new subwoofer (DIY perhaps?).

You could try turning the bass level down on the towers to prevent bottoming/clipping. Or engaging a peak limiter in your receiver. I wish I had money for a subwoofer myself, because I am also having (more minor) bass problems with my own tower speakers. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks