What's new

Upgrading/innovating a 400 seat University teaching theater (1 Viewer)

offcamber

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
I have been charged with coming up with a proposal for upgrading one of our 400 seat teaching theaters on campus (University) with the latest AV equipment. Right now we have two fairly new Epson projectors, a new lighting system, a sub-par dvd/vhs player, no blu-ray player, a wolf vision document camera, an older set of Shure microphones (lavalier and hand held), a mac and PC, amps and speakers of unknown age origin.
What should i upgrade to and what new media solutions are out there that would benefit the students?
Any help would be much appreciated.
-Dave

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It would help to have a budget here. And an actual "goal".

The goal(s)...

1. Stereo throughout the room
2. Actual theater sound
3. Single video source or mutlitple
4. PA ability...or PA and sound remaining separate
5. Multiple screens at once(depending on what Wolfvision you have...see below)

Your amps and speakers should be fine. It would help to know what the amps are(for the connection types...RCA, 1/4, balanced. And what kind of speaker connections the amps/speakers share 1/4, speakon or plain wire)

You won't really get anywhere without "us"* knowing complete specifics.

*I'm sure this isn't the only forum you've found.

Edit:
I've already gone to Wolfvision and is this camera a visualizer or what? They have multiple things that do different things. I'm assuming this is a presentation visualizer.

offcamber

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Right now there is no budget requirements given to me.
I'll have to get back to you about stereo/theater sound/amp connection types...
We already have multiple video source
This is the first forum I’ve found with a layout that this isn't crap (audiogon sucked). Is there a more appropriate forum I should look at?
What i'm really looking for is advice on a blu-ray player, dvd/vhs player, and better quality microphones in addition to ideas about other media that would help the classroom experience.
This may not be the exact model we have but it looks identical:
http://www.wolfvision.com/visualizer/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=187

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
On the BD player...since this is for an institution...

I'd go straight to Oppo. Mainly because it will do everything you could ever wish. And, they may even honor the warranty given the commercial-ish application.
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-95/blu-ray-BDP-95-Support.aspx

However, maybe you'd rather have a computer with a BD drive.

And if you are allowed to get really ridiculous...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-DMP-BD70V-Blu-Ray-Vhs-Combo-Player-Mint-Condition-Super-Rare-/140961140831?pt=DVD_Players_Recorders&hash=item20d1f0505f (I've seen these as high as $3000 new...)

As for your mics...unless we know "how good you have now"...and whether they work or not...we really can't say what to upgrade to. Unless you want wireless headset mics and all you have is wired handheld...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Can you also tell us the Shure microphone models? If they are SM58s, there would be no need to upgrade. Even if they are 60s era mics, they are going to be pretty good quality. But the model will help make that determination.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks