What's new

Upgrading HTB503's subwoofer to a Sony SA-WM40 , is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
Hi!
I've been meaning to get a SVS sub but I know it will be a long time before I could get the money so I was thinking about the famous Sony sub. Right now I am very happy with my system but I feel my sub could be better in the low end. I have the Kenwood HTB503's subwoofer so do you think it is worth to upgrade or it won't make a big difference?
My room is 14'-9" x 10'-4" x 7'-8"
Regards

Matt_R

Stunt Coordinator
My addiction to HT started with the Kenwood HTB-503. I have since upgraded my subwoofer THREE times! I would suggest that you wait and save a little extra for something like the SVS subs or for even less, something like the JBL PB-12 or Velodyne CT-120. The Sony sub is good for the money, however it's quite boomy. For an extra $200 or less, you can get much better performance. I upgraded my Kenwood Sub to the JBL PB-12, then the Velodyne CT-120 and now I have a Velodyne FSR-15, and I'm finally happy.
The JBL is excellent for music, better than the CT-120, IMO. However, the CT-120 has the edge for movies. And you might be able to find some cheap as they just discontinued this line and have a new one out with modest changes.

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
One more important thing is that I ony want it for movies (DVD) so I don't mind if its not good for music. Also, I've always been in love with the Acoustic Research ARS500...I am going to see for how much is selling right now.
Also, there is a PC program that lets you input a desired frequency (hz) and it will play it for you so its great for testing low freq response but I can't find it anywhere...any one have a link?

James Spraggs

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Kenwood HTB504, which uses the Kenwood powered sub, and have recently replaced it with the Velodyne CHT-12. I would highly recommend them as they re excellent for watching movies, and it sounds good for music too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks