Upgrading help?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Reuben_S, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Reuben_S

Reuben_S Auditioning

Hello all.
    I am new here but have read some of the primer so i kinda know what to look for. I have a budget of about $400(cdn) and want to upgrade to dolby, dts capable home theatre system. You know, those all in one reciever, speakers, and sometimes dvd players in the box systems. Anyway I would like to know who(company wise) makes the best systems for my budget. I'v done a little research and i know i want 0.1 thd, and most systems iv seen say about 100 watts a speaker but im not sure about what brands to trust. any help would be apreaciated. Even links to stuff i may have missed.

Thanks

p.s im still not sure what ohms mean and how they relate to speakers.

2. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

3. John S

John S Producer

$400 Canadian, is tough price to hit.
    I'd probably try to piece one together.

Starting with as good a price as you can find on an Onkyo TX-SR501, and then go from there....

Or maybe try like heck to win this system on Ebay Canada...
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...748433440&rd=1

Best of luck with it.

I can't in good faith suggest any HTIB's priced below these Onkyo systems. On boxing day, I'll bet you could have gotten an Onkyo 770 system for just a little over that $400 mark.

Samsung makes a decently reviewed HTIB all inclusive thing, but the Samsung HTIB's I have seen, have not been even close to up to snuff in my opinion.