Upgrading Front L & R to floorstanders- Worth It?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Huw Williams, Oct 12, 2001.

1. Huw Williams

Huw Williams Agent

Sep 24, 2000
    Tannoy M2.5 Front L & R
    Tannoy MXC Centre
    Tannoy M1 Rear L & R
    Paradigm PDR-10 Sub
    Yamaha DSP-A5 Amp
    With this current set up anything below 90Hz is directed to the sub.
    Would it be worth upgrading the front L & R to the floorstanding MX4s and using the M2.5 at the rear?
    Would this be a good upgrade?
    Help please !
    UK Members: - Want to organise a meet? Goto -
  2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Mar 2, 1999
    If you can connect the floorstanders to your sub and use the subs high pass filter the answer would be YES. So you would set your front main speakers (the MX4's) to large on the receiver then take the speaker wires from the amp to the subs (if the sub has this feature) high pass speaker inputs. Then another set of speaker wires from the high pass outputs from the sub to the speakers. You would then more than likely find out that about 40hz would be an ideal crossover for this setup. One good thing I noticed about the MX4's are they are VERY efficient and easier to drive than your 2.5's.
    I think this would be your ideal setup(above).......now the alternative would be to set the front speakers to large (as above), but not connect the speakers to the subs high pass filter. This would be ok if you are more interested in music, but for Home theater, I think you are better served by the above method. Good luck.