1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrading from XP Home to Professional

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Orr, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

My son is leaving for college and taking his P4 eMachine with him. The college is saying that he needs to upgrade his OS from XP Home to XP Professional, plus getting a network card that has both RJ45 and BCN connectors. I'm pretty sure I can get the ethernet card in town locally, but is there going to be a problem upgrading from XP home to professional? Or am I forced to buy a whole new OS for his computer?

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

3. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I can't imagine anywhere they'd still be running BNC for networking, the cable only supports 10 megabit ethernet and is very, very outdated. You'll probably have some trouble finding a combo (RJ45/BNC) network card anymore because it's that far out of date. I bet he'll be fine with just a 10/100 RJ45 only card.

4. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

If you really get in a pinch for a NIC let me know. I might be able to scare up an old 10 Base card with both connectors.

5. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I hit Pricewatch, and there are a couple of places that carry the combo cards. We also have a computer place nearby that I've purchased components from to upgrade older computers, so I'll give them a shot on Monday. Thanks for the help!

On the handout he brought home from the school (it's in Nashville, we're in Virginia), its says that they are renovating the network in two of the dorms for wireless by this semester, and will be putting wireless in all the other dorms within the next year.