Upgrading from paradigm monior 5's and CC370?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark Ro, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Mark Ro

Mark Ro Agent

I currently have the paradigm Monitor 5's with a CC370 and Minis for rears. I am thinking of upgrading and am looking for either a tower or bookshelf that isn't rear ported. I'm looking for more clarity at lower volume levels. My short list is Klipsch RB75 with RC-7, Axiom M60's and VP150 or the Paradigm Studio 20's with the CC-470. All of these I would go with the appropriate surround speaker. This will be for 99% Home Theater. Also with these models will I notice a "upgrade" in sound quality? By the way I have a HSU VTF2 suba nd HK525. Thanks.

2. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I can only speak for the Paradigm gear, as I've owned speakers from both the monitor and studio lines. You'll definitely notice a difference with the studios.....a very nice difference - especially if you go with the newer v.3s. The studio line is very highly regarded, and a clear step up over the monitor line. YOu'll notice more of a difference with music than you will with HT, but the difference will be apparent in both applications. If you go with the studios, though, try and give them some juice......they come to life with lots of nice, clean power [​IMG]

3. Aaron_Mum

Aaron_Mum Stunt Coordinator

I recently heard a setup at my local store with Sonus Faber bookshelf speakers. The volume was not that high and the clarity and detail was incredible (without being bright). I have no idea how much these suckers cost though, could be $1500 a pair or more! Just another thing to check out as they delivered what you are after.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I had 5s and a 370 and I auditioned the Studio line (40s & 470), but it was too crisp for my taste. The Studios are a definite step up in clarity and dynamics and they will do fine for mostly movies. I typically listen to more music, and after extended listening periods, the 40s started to get fatiguing. I went with www.gr-research.com A/V-2s up front and A/V-1s out back. Noticably smoother and more detailed than the Studios, IMO.

Axioms vs the Studios, IMO, the Studios are still a step up from the Axioms, but the M60 will give you a much bigger presentation than the 20s. Conversely, the 470 is definitely going to outperform the VP150. I recently installed 20s and a 470 for a friend, in a very large room, and it sounds great.

The 525 will do OK, but I would want more power to drive a full Studio setup in a medium to large room.