Upgrading from Monitor 7's

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Alan Pummill, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

I currently have Paradigm Monitor 7's, but am getting ready to upgrade. I listen to 2 channel music a lot along with SACD and DVD-A, not to mention DVD movies. I will match the rest of my 7.1 system with whichever of these main speakers I end up with. I will be using my Paradigm PW-2200 as my sub.

I have grown tired of my 7's. As I have upgraded my electronics to the Outlaw 950 and a Rotel RB-990BX (2 x 200wpc) amp, the short comings of my speakers have revealed themselves. Now don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the 7's, they are really good speakers for the money, but it is time for me to step-up!!

These are some speakers that I am considering:

Wharfedale EVO-40
    http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/evolution.htm

Swan 6.1
    http://www.theaudioinsider.com/cgi-b...r/SW6.1BC.html

Rocket RS750
    http://www.av123.com/products_produc...rs&product=4.1

Axiom M80ti
    http://www.axiomaudio.com/m80ti.html

Paradigm Studio 60
    http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...udioSpecs.html

Give me you views on these!! Or give me some suggestions in the

2. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Alan,

What is your listening room like? I only ask because 5 years ago I bought the 7's. I have been down a few roads since then. And now I don't listen to Paradigm speakers anymore.
    Don't get me wrong.... Paradigm makes GREAT sounding speakers at their price point. You surely see that speaker (and certainly, most certainly, ALL the gear upstream) choices are most often based upon listening pleasures, priorities and habits. These change over time. We all are drawn to what we like, right? Even if we don't consciously see it ;^)

For me, it took quite a period of time to realize that music is what I really enjoy listening to. I love HT too... but only when the family is in the room for a scheduled session.
    Anyway, I digress. If your room is fairly musical and not full of anomolies,then your mains choice will dictate your listening future, as you alluded to. Be very careful of you intial mains choice.
    Hey you didn't expect a recommendation did you ? I'm the first responder here ;*) You well know that your mains choice is final, right ? All other have to originate from the same manufacturering source.
    Be careful what you wish for in that first choice.
    I chose Von Schweikert after Paradigm, FYI.
    Your room should also be a large influencing factor in speaker choice, IMHO.
    Others will lend more choices.... I'm the primer....
    Best of Luck,

BOK

3. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I have only heard Paradigm Studio 60's out of the ones you list. If I was to buy blind, however, I'd probably go with those Axioms. Those look like a damn nice speaker for only $1100. Anyone in Maine have a pair of those I could listen to?

4. Kevin_Wadsworth

FWIW, I have a pair of Paradigm 9SEMk3 speakers. There were the predesessor to the Monitor line, so I would imagine that they have a similar sound (I've never heard the monitors, though, so I could be wrong).

I too am interested in upgrading my speakers and was intrigued by the value of the Axiom line. My brother-in-law has a pair of M60ti's, so I luggen my speakers over to his house to do an A/B comparison - fully expecting to be blown away by his speakers. I left with a new appreciation for the Paradigms - they certainly have areas where they don't perform as well as the Axioms but overall my wife and I both preferred their sound to the M60's. To me, the Axioms sounded a bit harsh (to others, they would probably call this detailed). I enjoyed listening to symphonic music on them, but I didn't enjoy pop/rock and particularly female vocals on the speakers. So, I am continuing my journey in looking for my next pair of speakers - I would like to listen to some of the others you have on your list.

On the other hand, after listening to the same sets of speakers, my brother-in-law was only more confident with his purchase. He clearly preferred the Axioms for every type of music, so obiviously individual tastes will vary.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Maybe take a listen to the NHT T5 or T6:

NHT

GR Research A/V-3 would be right at your price point and would be excellent for music (I have A/V-2s). I upgraded from Monitor 5s.

6. Alan Pummill

Thanks John...

One of the stores I'm going to tomorrow carries the NHT line. Another candidate!!

7. Alan Pummill

Well so far I have listened to the following speakers:

Wharfedale EVO-40 $960/pair
    Boston Acoustics VR3 $1250/pair
    B&W DM-603 $949/pair
    Magnepan MG1.6QR $1725/pair ($1495/pair for a demo)
    Onix Rockets RS750 $1499/pair

I still want to listen to:
    Paradigm Studio 60 $1499/pair
    Swan Diva 6.1 BC $929/pair

So far, the Wharfedale and Magnepan are my top two choices so far. Difficult decision!!

8. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Alan.

I have read some good things about the Wharfedale Evo-40. How was the build quality compared to the Rocket RS750?

9. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

Alan,
    Have you looked at the next step up from the Wharfedale EVOs?
    That being the EVO OPUS line. The smallest version, the 50, has their new 8" kevlar woofer and 3" mid with the same structural design as the Evos only a little larger obviously. The 50 would still be in your price range at $1.750 retail. Just a suggestion.