What's new

Upgrading from HTiB (1 Viewer)

Nethus

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan
Hi there, I am currently looking to upgrade from a DVD HTiB system I brought a year ago to a 'real' home theater system which I have been very eager to do for some time so I may finally start enjoying some blu-rays and would just like to run a few things/ideas past the experts before spending all the pennies. Please note, being on the otherside of the world to the most of you (New Zealand) the product range I have access to is much more limited, along with the prices associated with them. Firstly, receiver - looking at a Denon AVR-1312 or Yamaha RXV371. About the two least expensive receivers around here. Both 5.1, Yamaha has the setup microphone, Denon has the better reputation/brand. Both identical price. $650NZ. Speakers - for another ~$300NZ you can get the Denon/Yamaha 5.1 speaker sets with the above/similar receivers or look at the small range of individual speakers available to us (Polk, B&W, Klipsch, Sony/Yamaha/Pioneer, Velodyne). The best idea for me based on a lot of reading is getting a matching set of individual Polk speakers and a Velodyne sub. However I don't have that kind of money, so what seems to be popular instead of getting a cheap set, is starting with a 2.0 system and building up to 3.0 to 3.1 to 5.1. A question I do have here is whether instead of getting the two main floorstanding speakers first, whether I should get bookshelves first (half the price, leaving $$$ to spare to add the sub/center earlier on and eventually use the bookshelves as the rears). (Specific Speaker Models: TSi300 Floorstanding[set] $1200NZ, CS10 Center $500NZ, TSi100 Bookshelves[set] $500NZ). I look forward to your insight.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't think the yamaha 371 has their YPAO setup/eq feature. At least not here in the US. The Only entry-level receiver with room correction is the Pioneer 521. I agree that the Denon is probably the best choice over-all but some kind of room correction would be nice. I say get the bookshelves first, the subwoofer second, the center third and the fronts forth. We all like towers (must be a macho thing! :cool:) but you're better off getting the TSi200's for the fronts and using the money saved for a better subwoofer. But I fully understand if you want the towers anyway (so do I :blush: ).

Nethus

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan
gene c said:
I don't think the yamaha 371 has their YPAO setup/eq feature.
You're right - the model doesn't seem to, yet the specifications given by one of the retailers says otherwise! Probably just some misinformation. Thanks for taking the time to respond (:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Even manufactures websites can be mis-leading and/or confusing sometimes. It's best to down-load the manuals and give them a read. Sometimes you'll find things in there you didn't know about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks