What's new

Upgrading from HTIB to a full fledged receiver problem (1 Viewer)

SlainbytheBrain

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Kellar
I had a Home Theater in a Box which I used to watch movies in surround sound. I liked it so much I figured I'd get a receiver so I could have my games in surround sound too.

I got a receiver and transferred the speakers to it and plugged my HTIB upscaling DVD player into the receiver. I then turned it on and now my games have surround sound but my movies don't! Hardly worth the investment.

I'm assuming that the DVD player is trying to use its now empty speaker hookups as opposed to sending the sound through the receiver it is connected to (video goes through fine, of course).

Is there a solution or should I just use my 360 for movies and see what the speakerless DVD player can fetch on Ebay?

SlainbytheBrain

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Kellar
Whoops. :laugh:

The HTIB was the Samsung HT-X50 5.1 with a 5 disc upscaling DVD player.

The Receiver is the Sony STR-DG810 6.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

They are connected by an HDMI cable. The sound for the 360 is passed through an HDMI cable so I'm not sure why this wouldn't work for the DVD player as well.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
From page 51 of the manual for the HT-X50 for HDMI audio:

• The default setting of this function is HDMI AUDIO OFF.
• HDMI AUDIO is automatically down-mixed to 2ch for TV speakers.

Therefore, the HT-X50 is incapable of outputing 5.1 from it's DVD function. Sell it and get yourself a new DVD player and new, better, speakers.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Not totally sure, but since they use the term "default", that makes me think there is another option - multichannel in other words - for the audio output.

Can X-Boxes play dvds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks