What's new

Upgrading from Denon AVR-X2000, Advice Sought (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Hopefully this Christmas if the cruise hasn't eaten all my Christmas funds, I'd like to upgrade my main AVR up from my current Denon AVR-X2000. Now I'm happy with the X2000 and it will do pass-through (no processing) on my coming new UHD Blu-ray setup for 4K, HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

But I want to upgrade to something more modern & cool & Atmos ready. Being familiar & pleased with Denon AVRs, that's the route I'll probably go. So any advice on upgrading will be welcome.

Heard good things about the AVR-x3300 and the x4400 which are in my price range (barely with the cruise figured in).

Please Advise!!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
How soon do you plan on upgrading to adding Atmos speakers in the mix?

I bought the X4400 this year and am very pleased with how it sounds, having height speakers in my evironment makes a big difference because even non-immersive tracks with the new upmixers gives me a much larger soundfield, compared to the AVR-1912 I upgraded from.

I also like the HEOS mode where I can easily throw on my internet radio stations, and the bluetooth is nice. I know these functions have been out awhile, but it's new to me.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I upgraded from the 2309 to the X3400H. I don't plan to add Atmos speakers and the AVR works well with a 7.2 speaker arrangement. However, if you plan on Atmos, the 3400 is limited to 5.2 plus 2 Atmos speakers. The 4400 would power 4 Atmos speakers and a 5.2 speaker setup.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I went with the 4400 because I can run a full 7.1.4 system by powering the additional 2 channels with an amp I already own.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have the Denon X3300W (older version of the X3400H) , and have been very happy with the receiver. I do agree with the other comments here, though, that the X4400H is the better choice if you plan on adding Atmos height speakers. I am running my AVR in just a 7.1 configuration, so the X4300H would have been overkill in my particular case.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I have the Denon X3300W (older version of the X3400H) , and have been very happy with the receiver. I do agree with the other comments here, though, that the X4400H is the better choice if you plan on adding Atmos height speakers. I am running my AVR in just a 7.1 configuration, so the X4300H would have been overkill in my particular case.

Thanks all for the info. Kinda zeroed in on the X3400 for now. It would fill all my wants & needs and $500-$600 lower in price than the X4400.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well as it turns out, my old X2000 won’t pass thru HDR10 and DV information so the AVR is next in line for upgrade.
That’s for the main Home Theater. So much I want to do as well for the master bedroom TV.

Paitience.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well as it turns out, my old X2000 won’t pass thru HDR10 and DV information so the AVR is next in line for upgrade.
That’s for the main Home Theater. So much I want to do as well for the master bedroom TV.

Paitience.
You can buy a Denon 4400 for $900 or the Denon 3400 for $600 at most retailers. They're making way for the new models.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
You can buy a Denon 4400 for $900 or the Denon 3400 for $600 at most retailers. They're making way for the new models.

If you've a Fry's nearby, they usually have the best prices on those Denons, especially now that they're clearing them out. If you are going to shop Fry's, sign up online for their coupons. Every week they discount some merchandise, but coupon codes (specific to each customer) are needed.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
If you've a Fry's nearby, they usually have the best prices on those Denons, especially now that they're clearing them out. If you are going to shop Fry's, sign up online for their coupons. Every week they discount some merchandise, but coupon codes (specific to each customer) are needed.
Come to think of it, Fry’s online is where I bought my first AVR back in 2014. There is no Fry’s B&M at all in Florida so I have to deal online.
Hope they offer a decent Veterans discount for a Denon X4400H.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Update:

First since I unexpectedly got some unexpected minor blessings from God (majority being spent on relatives for Christmas) I might just go for the AVR-X4400 after all. They are getting a tad difficult to find, however a company called AcousticSoundDesign (ASD) carries the X4400 at a decent price. If anyone here has dealt with ASD in the past, please relate your experiences.

Their Amazon satisfaction ratings are at 100% with glowing positive reviews.

I put the order in a week from now.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Huh. That's news to me. I was under the impression that the 2000X allowed full 4k passthrough.

I guess I'll be going through this same process whenever I decide to upgrade my plasma to a 4k display.

Good luck, Brad.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Of the sellers I see on Amazon at the same price for the X4400, I'd go with OneCall, Huppins (which is the same company as OneCall), or Listen Up. All are long standing retailers with impeccable reputations. I've dealt with them all personally for years. I've also bought from World Wide Stereo.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well as they say on NFL Draft Day, the pick is in. Just ordered the Denon AVR-X4400H to replace the AVR-X2000H.

Purchased from Acoustic Sound Design (acousticsounddesign.com) directly instead of thru Amazon. Purchased directly for two reasons; 1. They answer their phones and 2. Got an additional discount not offered on Amazon.

Next requests for the Upgrade Fairy:
- New Vizio 55” M Series for the bedroom TV.
- Klipsch speaker set for the main home theater. I can then move some of the older JBL surround speakers and the subwoofer to the bedroom TV along with the X2000H receiver.

Oh and in answer to
@Mike Frezon, the AVE-X2000H will pass thru 4K but not HDR10 and Dolby Vision Data. The new 4400H does.

4575EDA0-44BE-4ED7-82D2-A21D2D2C7FA5.png

98B81375-DC96-403C-9B36-C7994CAF703F.png

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Congrats, Brad, on the purchase. Now you get to play the waiting game! :wacko:

If I may ask, what kind of deal did Acoustic Sound Design offer you? Something readily seen on their site? Or, something they offered you over the phone?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Another place I would recommend is AV Science. I bought my Denon x3300W from them. Got a better price than Amazon, and they were very helpful in answering my questions. They are an authorized dealer, too.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Congrats, Brad, on the purchase. Now you get to play the waiting game! :wacko:

If I may ask, what kind of deal did Acoustic Sound Design offer you? Something readily seen on their site? Or, something they offered you over the phone?

Basically a combination of on the phone and their website.
They knocked $100 off their price. Couldn’t pass that up
Also their customer satisfaction rating on Amazon is thru the roof (100%).

Now to determine what to do with the x2000. Moving it to the bedroom TV is my first thought. But I need another set of speakers and plenty of speaker wire.
Besides the bedroom TV is getting the Viz 5.1 36” sound bar system (Costco knocked $80 off Walmart’s price).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks