What's new

Upgrading From Denon AVR 4800 (1 Viewer)

Jessie A

Auditioning
After having the Denon AVR 4800 for about 2 years, I'm getting the "upgrade jitters" and I am wondering where the good people of HTF thought I should go from here. I have been thinking about maybe a Lexicon MC1/Sherbourn combo since the MC1 has such a wonderful reputation and is now so inexpensive on the used market. My price range is rather open but I really don't want to spend more than 4k for my preamp and amp/s.

Jessie A

Auditioning
That is to say I would rather not spend more than 4k, but I know I may not be able to stick to that and see the marked sonic improvement I am looking for.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Absolutely....how about using the 4800 as a Pre/Pro...and upgrading the amplifier. I have the 4802 and I am considering either going with The 200W Outlaw Monoblocks...or the offering from nOhr...which even seems better! I think your money will be better spent....and you can always upgrade the Pre/Pro down the road when new formats become available.

Jessie A

Auditioning
Mike, That is certainly a thought. I have an older Onkyo Integra amp that is arranged in a dual mono fashion that I had used for a time to power the fronts but I wasn't able to detect a marked improvement in detail, though it could have just been that amp's performance. I had been looking at possibly the new Anthem 5 channel, or even maybe used Krell.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I am new here, but I own a Denon 4802 and chose it under my available budget because I just happen to like the way Denon power amps in general sound.

I think you will have to do better than the Onkyo to hear any sort of real audio fidelity improvement.

On going to separates, the world is your oyster, I'd get down to the nearest true high end audio outfit in your neck of the woods, and start demo'n the good stuff. I'll probably get bashed a little here :), but like I say, I chose the 4802 over a fair amount of separates because I actually liked the way it sounded better.

Good luck on your quest, I would love to know what you decide to get in an upgrade, as eventually, I am sure I will want to upgrade too....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks