Upgrading from a 'Home Theatre in a box'

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Andrew_PD, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Andrew_PD

Andrew_PD Extra

I am wanting to upgrade from my Phillips LX3750W ‘home theatre in a box’ to a custom made system. So having only had experience with a package set I’m a real beginner.

I am starting with a receiver

Could anyone give me some advice on some receivers? I’m looking for a reasonably cheap receiver with DTS ES 6.1 Discrete & Matrix, Dolby 5.1 & Dolby EX. Anything else like Pro Logic would be a bonus.

Also are speaker packages worth buying, or is better to buy the rears, front, centre and subs separate?

Thanks

2. Robert*S

Robert*S Stunt Coordinator

Hey Andrew -
    I recommend the Pioneer 812. It has all the latest decoding DD (EX), DTS (ES), Pro Logic II, Neo 6 and is 7.1 capable.
    I have the previous model, the 811, runing a 7.1 setup and I love it.

3. Andrew_PD

Andrew_PD Extra

I have decided to go for the Pioneer VSX-D712

It has all the features I need plus 7.1 and costs £230

I am having real trouble with the speakers though. Should I create a 7.1 set up because I will have the capability or just set up to 6.1?

I'm looking for a company that makes good quality speakers at reasonable prices that can be ordered online

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Andrew, since you're asking for specific receiver recommendations you should post here in Receivers/Amps. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level. Thanks.