1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrading DVD player eliminate flickering?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Scott_L, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Scott_L

Scott_L Agent

Scott
    I have a Sony NS725P DVD player and a Sony FD Trinitron WEGA KV-27FS100 (not HD). When watching DVD's I notice that the top edge of the picture (widescreen mode, not full screen)is flickering (looks to be around 60 Hz) which is really annoying. Will upgrading to a higher quality DVD player(ex.Denon 2200) eliminate this or would I have to purchase a HD TV?
    Also, will there be a noticeable improvement in the sound with CD's and/or movies if I went with the Denon 2200 over my Sony DVD player. I'm currently using a Denon 3803 receiver and component cables from the TV to the DVD player.

Thanks,

Scott

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

That sounds to me like the macrovision signal from the DVD player. Some TVs get flashing at the top of the screen from macrovision. Buy a macrovision eliminator box to eliminate it.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    An HDTV would help, since you are not getting progressive right now, but may not fix the problem if it is the player. Try S-video and see if it goes away.

A friend of mine has the 725 and it is not as good in progressive as the 2200 is. In interlaced, I think you would not be improving anything. Audio-wise, the SACD section of the 2200 is better than the 725 as well, but redbook cds will probably sound very similar.