UPGRADING!! Definitive Technology Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MatthewH, Jul 4, 2002.

1. MatthewH

MatthewH Agent

I have been a lurker just about every day for about the past two years but I rarely post. Well, here is my delima. My wife and I bought a new house about six months ago and I have been using mix and matched hand-me down speakers with the exception of a Def Tech Pro Center 2 Center Channel which I have had for about a year. Well, my wife has had it with the huge Kenwood hand me down stereo speakers cluttering up the living room which gives me an excuse to upgrade. I am very impressed with Def Tech products and was interested in purchasing a L&R front and rear surrounds. I listened to the small non powered bookshelves this past weekend (I believe they were the Studio 350's) I was curious if anyone is currently using or has any opinions about this speaker. The wife loved them because they were small and would fit in our entertainment center and I thought they sounded nice but naturally I would like something a little bigger. The only floor standing speaker I might be able to get away with is the BP6. I also listened to the BPX 1.2 rear surrounds. Any opinons on these three speakers would be greatly appreciated. I want to try to stay around a $1000.00 since I am planning to purchase a 57HDX82 and a subwoofer this fall. I'm sure all of you married guy's can understand my situation. I will probably have to get a divorce when I order an SVS.[​IMG]

2. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

Well, I own the SM350's as my mains so maybe I can answer some of your questions. They are about as big as my wife will let me go and they do look very good. If you don't have a good reciever that will drive allot of watts to them, you will need a sub. I get very little base out of them with my RX-V530. That passive 8" sub must need allot more energy than the Yamaha 530 can deliver. I am just using a cheap 8" 60W Aiwa right now and that does the trick just fine.

What I am impressed with them is there clear and detailed sound. That's why I bought them. I will admit I was not happy with them at first. However, they just keep sounding better and better. It probably took over 100 hours of play before they started swinging me to liking them. I was ready to get rid of them in the first two-months. Now I love them. I am not even running a center channel with them. I have it in phantom mode. They image very well. I hadn't added a CC due to space. Now I am afraid to add a CC because I might ruin my crystal clear sound.

You might try the SM450's. They do carry more base from the larger cabinet, the 6.5" mid and 10" sub. Give them a listen if you can.