Upgrading center/fronts. Suggestions please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonBrown, Feb 13, 2002.

1. JasonBrown

JasonBrown Stunt Coordinator

Here's the situation. Currently, an apartment dweller (and likely will be for the foreseeable future). Got that JVC (DS-TP230 I think) HTiB unit that was discussed here about this time last year. Pretty happy with it and all, but I'm wondering what more might be out there for a couple hundred bucks. It's pretty much the conclusion that the centers need to "match" the fronts from what I've read, so I'll likely have to replace all three. The rears in this package are identical to the fronts if memory serves.

What kind of center/front package would you recommend in the $300-$500 range total? Any suggestions right around that price (pretty flexible here) are welcomed. Main TV viewing is the occasional DVD movie (8 or so a month) and sports/regular programming via DirecTv.....

A/V receiver is DD/DTS compatible if that matters any...

thanks all in advance!

2. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

If you have the money to spend, Try POLK audio. They are having a huge closeout on speakers right now. You can depend on POLK to deliver great quality.

Charles

3. JasonBrown

JasonBrown Stunt Coordinator

Is the "closeout" sale via the on-line website only or via local dealers, etc? Any particular models you would suggest?

4. Charles M

Jason,
    I don't about certain online retailers. For exaple, Circuit City has them right now including Fry's electronics. Maybe their website might have the same price as in store prices, but they normally differ on terms has having no sales tax included in the final purchase. You'll have to double check on that yourself.
    As far as what I would recommend. I picked up a pair of RT1000i's For $499 a pair, that's almost half off the regular price[​IMG]. A cs400i for the center channel for $249(originally $399) and f/x500i for $379 a pair(originally $499). I got it all from Fry's. If this in your budget I would go for it man. I'll be moving on March 8th so, I really haven't had time to break in yet. I just plugged the the 1000i's in to see if their are any problems with them since they have the built-in subwoofers and amps, before the 30 days refund expires. So far no problems. Let me know what you decide on.
    Charles

5. Charles M

Sorry that's $299 on the cs400i

6. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Fronts - Paradigm Mini Monitors($300)

Center - Paradigm CC-370 ($350)

You could probably find lower prices than these. This would be one hell of a combo.