What's new

Upgrading Bose Acoustimas HELP and Opinions Wanted (1 Viewer)

Cslinger

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
New guy checking in asking the same ole' question you have heard a thousand times before. Please have mercy. I have browsed and searched the forum but I am soliciiting opinions specific to my situation below.

I have an older Bose Acoustimas cube surround sound set up with 3 double cubes up front, the un-powered bass module and 2 of the older Bose surrounds out back. The room in question is a bonus room above a garage that is roughly 19x19 or so. To my left is a large picture window.

The rest of the system is as follows.

Onkyo TX-SR601 Receiver 85W X Channel 6.1.
Velodyne 12 inch sub.
TV, DVD, Etc. Etc.

I am thinking about several routes at the moment. The goal is to get better sound then the Bose, have excellent long term reliability and generally be a nice well matched system. Primarily the system will be used for DVDS and TV. I do want to upgrade my music playing sound, hence going with a set of towers in front.

1)Ordering the following Infinity setup.
-2 Primus 360s up front.
-1 Primus C25 Center
-3 Primus 150s out back.

2)Just going with an Onkyo HTS790 HTIB.

3)
-2 Infinity Beta 40s
-1 Infinity C25 Center
Keeping the Bose surrounds.

What would sound the best, what makes the most sense? About the highest I want to spend is in the neighborhood of $700 or so.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The HTIB is probably the least appealing, especially considering you have an decent Onkyo receiver already. My cousin has the Primus 360's in his set-up and they sound very good. The Betas are supposed to be comparable to the Interlude series, at the time it was the best series Circuit City offered, I have Interlude 10's, sweet speakers. The only beef I have with the Betas is the speaker grill, they are cheap plastic perforated grills instead of cloth and I loathe them. If I had the Betas I wouldn't even use those ugly grills.

Seth=L

Cslinger

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
On the subject of the 360s. Would it make more sense to do four Primus 360 with the rears sitting on boxes or something to raise them up a bit or to stick with the 150s as I have outlined above?

Part of me wants to go with the Betas but I think I would be perfectly happy with the 360s.

Thanks much for the quick reply. I have too many other expensive hobbies to get heavily involved in HT audio but I don't want to throw a couple hundred bucks of crap in there either.

So to anybody reading feel free to give me other options or opinions. I realize that the true audiophiles will likely think $1500-$2000 is the minimum I should be looking at and those suggestions are fine as they tend to help me research what I end up with, even though it will likely be closer to the $600-$700 mark at most.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I dont even know why we have this forum, the options are endless. With that budget however, no matter what you buy its going to be lacking in some department, wether its harsh highs, muddy mids or sloppy bass nothing you will find is going to be perfect. My system cost roughly what your looking to spend. I tried all the big box stores and found nothing that appealed to me. I ended up making a deaf buy, so to speak, and bought speakers from an online retailer. Its been a few years and Im still quite pleased with what I purchased. www.Fluance.com. I went with a pair of SV10's for the mains and later added 3 SV6's for the center and surrounds. I have a front projection setup and placed the 3rd bookshelf below the screen on a stand. If your going to be placeing it on a tv your probably better off with their center speaker.

Again, your going to get a ton of recomendations, there is no general concensious on speakers (other than Bose sucks). But Fluance is my 2 cents, since in my opinion they are better than anything (I) found in the big box retailers for the same amount and even a little more.

There are alot of popular online direct ship speaker compaines that people here like, and most of them have something within your budget and I think they all have pretty generous return policies.

http://www.hometheaterdirect.com/
http://www.axiomaudio.com/
http://www.svsound.com/

Just to name a few..

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508