What's new

Upgrading AC power cord for the AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Bruce, that picture gives explicit directions for upgrading to the power cord sold by Upscale Audio. Note that the Ah! does not have an IEC socket, so the power cord from Upscale Audio does not have an IEC plug on the end. It simply has the colored wires shown in the picture. I wouldn't mess with a different power cord unless you really know what you are doing.

On a related note, Dan Wright of modwright.com is doing mods on the Ah!, and one of the changes involves addition of an IEC socket to the back panel.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The 3 color wires are the likely color standard for a 3-wire SJT cord. This site describes the specifications for different devices: Link Removed
If you reverse the wires, you change the polarity, which could or could not be a good thing sound wise, but is likely an electrical code no-no. I use an inverted (IEC to 3 prong) cord on my DVD transport since it sounds better. If this site - http://www.ul.com/ for Underwriter's Labs does not have the color codes, they likely can push you in the right direction.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Bruce, for $79, I'd try the power cord from Upscale Audio before I'd mess around with a different power cord. Since I have the upsampling board on order, I will probably upgrade the power cord to the one Upscale Audio is selling as well.

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
OK I finally got the wiring all done, the letter N and L are writing on the cd player. Took me a couple minutes putting the thick gauge wire in that tiny hole. So far difference are subtle. For $35 to make this wire, I think it's better then what upscale gives you. I have the same IEC plugs that upcscale offers and use a thicker gauge then upscale. Pics coming soon.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Bruce, the thickness of the gauge is not necessarily something good with regard to a component that does not output a huge amount of current. Gauge is also not the only factor in determining how something will sound. The connectors used in the IEC and plug are of course much better than teh stardard factory stuff.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Bruce, if the changes you are hearing are "subtle" with your power cord, why not try the power cord Upscale Audio is selling for $79? If you don't like it, you could get a refund.

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
Keith, do you think upscales wire is worth $35 more dollars then the DIY power wire? It's pretty much the same plugs and wires

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Bruce, I cannot begin to tell you if the power cord Upscale Audio is selling is worth $35 more than your power cord. Perhaps they are not so similar. The only way to find out for sure is to try Upscale's cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks