What's new

Upgrading a receiver.. (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I was wondering if I was to upgrade the receiver to say one with more features, how about the calibration, would I be able to copy the settings and then replicate them in the new receiver (presuming it is the same brand)? Or does one have to recalibrate every time?
Is there a functionality difference between the primary and secondary receiver? I am getting a two receivers and the one that I need is one with a digital output, whereas my parents who have a basic 27" TV has no use for the digital output and can get the cheaper model, I'm just wondering if there is any requirements as to which receiver is the primary one and which is the secondary one and what's the difference between the two?
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jay,
There is no calibration on your receiver. Well, there are some minor picture adjustments on some HD models but the SD models are almost plug and play. There are things like "favorites" lists and parental locks but those have to be set up for each receiver.
When you have two or more receivers in a system, the programming is identical (except for HD) on all of the receivers. If you buy a single receiver system and a stand alone receiver, the receiver from the sytem must be activated as primary (at least with Dishnetwork).
When I switched from DirecTV to Dishnetwork, I bought an HD6000 system. As a new subscriber it was heavily discounted but I had to subscribe to at least $39 a month in programming for a year or I would have been hit with $400 in penalties. At the same time I bought a stand alone Dishplayer at a good price with no programming commitments. I pre-wired my house before the equipment arrived. When it was delivered, I installed and aimed the dish in about an hour. I connected the receivers to the dish and wrote down the serial number and smart card number for each receiver. I call Dishnetwork to activate programming on the HD6000. After giving the CSR my credit card info, mailing address, receiver serial and smart card numbers, and what programming package I want, my receiver starts working. I then tell the CSR Dishplayer's serial and smart card numbers and it starts working.
The new DirecTV systems are being sold without smartcards. This is to cut down on hackers buying systems for just the cards. After you install everything and call DirecTV to set up programming, your smartcards will be FedExed to you. Dishnetwork still includes the smartcards with their systems.
-Robert
[Edited last by Robert_J on July 12, 2001 at 08:16 AM]

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
This might be a stupid question, but why would anyone want to hijack the smartcards? I just purchased Direct TV and my Smartcards were in the receivers when I got them home. No shipping needed. I purchased the receivers in mid June so possibly this is something very new or just a rumor.
------------------
At my singnal, unleash HELL.......

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You could buy a $49 basic system at Wal-Mart with no programming commitment, hack the card and re-sell the card for $300 to $500.
They just started this so you may have gotten a system that was packaged before the new policy.
-Robert
[Edited last by Robert_J on July 12, 2001 at 04:32 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks