What's new

Upgrading a computer w/ Windows XP: Should I purchase the UPGRADE or FULL version? (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I would be upgrading from WIN98 or WIN 98 SE.
Should I purchase the Upgrade or Full version?
Thought I heard that some folks were having alot of problems when using the UPGRADE version.
I have the Sony Vaio RX580 w/ DVD-R/RW burner and a P4 1.8 MHZ that has Windows XP pre-installed and I really like it alot. This computer is primarily my wife's - unfortunately!
The upgrade would be for a Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 MHZ based computer that I just finished purchasing and building today.
Thanks for any feedback!
Upgrade version or Full?
------------------
I WAS DRUGGED AND LEFT FOR DEAD IN NEW MEXICO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT
Link Removed
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
It's a common misconception that the Upgrade box only allows you to 'upgrade' your current operating system. Not true. You also have the option of doing a totally 'clean' install, during which the procedure will ask you to insert the CD of a previous version of Windows to make sure you are eligible.
So if you have the CD of the full version of 98, you can do a fresh install. Only buy the Upgrade edition if you have a full version though.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Rob - Thanks for your quick reply to my post.
I do have a full version on WIN 98 so I'll probably just purchase the XP Upgrade.
Thanks for the information on the CLEAN INSTALL Feature - I didn't know about that option.
Best Regards,
Mike
patriot.gif

------------------
I WAS DRUGGED AND LEFT FOR DEAD IN NEW MEXICO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT
Link Removed
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Exactly what Rob said. And do stick with the CLEAN install. I know MS says you can upgrade with no probs on this version...but somehow I just don't trust that...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks