Upgrading a computer w/ Windows XP: Should I purchase the UPGRADE or FULL version?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael D. Bunting, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I would be upgrading from WIN98 or WIN 98 SE.
    Should I purchase the Upgrade or Full version?
    Thought I heard that some folks were having alot of problems when using the UPGRADE version.
    I have the Sony Vaio RX580 w/ DVD-R/RW burner and a P4 1.8 MHZ that has Windows XP pre-installed and I really like it alot. This computer is primarily my wife's - unfortunately!
    The upgrade would be for a Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 MHZ based computer that I just finished purchasing and building today.
    Thanks for any feedback!
    Upgrade version or Full?
    ------------------
    I WAS DRUGGED AND LEFT FOR DEAD IN NEW MEXICO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT
    My Home Theater
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

It's a common misconception that the Upgrade box only allows you to 'upgrade' your current operating system. Not true. You also have the option of doing a totally 'clean' install, during which the procedure will ask you to insert the CD of a previous version of Windows to make sure you are eligible.
    So if you have the CD of the full version of 98, you can do a fresh install. Only buy the Upgrade edition if you have a full version though.

3. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Rob - Thanks for your quick reply to my post.
    I do have a full version on WIN 98 so I'll probably just purchase the XP Upgrade.
    Thanks for the information on the CLEAN INSTALL Feature - I didn't know about that option.
    Best Regards,
    Mike [​IMG]
    ------------------
    I WAS DRUGGED AND LEFT FOR DEAD IN NEW MEXICO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT
    My Home Theater
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Exactly what Rob said. And do stick with the CLEAN install. I know MS says you can upgrade with no probs on this version...but somehow I just don't trust that...