What's new

Upgrades and downgrades (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Which series on DVD have you either upgraded to a newer version because there was something you liked about the newer version that was better than the older one, or downgraded to an older version because there was something you liked about the older version that was better than the newer one?

For me, the former would be the remastered O-R NBC Star Trek; I had that one in the individual remastered releases, but had trouble keeping them on my shelf owing to how big they were. Sometime later, I got CBS' condensed all-in-one of the same, and now I have it all in one package that resides perfectly on my shelf.

The latter, on the other hand, would be Knight Rider (1982-86 NBC adventure series w/David Hasselhoff). Originally, I had Universal's seasonal double releases (three of them, 1982-85), then much, much later, got Mill Creek's all-in-one of KR (I had also dispensed with those original double releases; don't know when I did, though). The problems are, not only does Mill Creek's KR all-in-one not have subtitles, but also is horribly packaged, and has far too many shows per disc. I decided, henceforth, to go back to Universal's versions, and that is why I got that repackaged 6-disc first-season single-sided release: mainly because it has subtitles (this first one having English, French and Spanish).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Most of my "downgrades" are movies. Not really tv shows.

If I hear that the dvd version of a title I have on bluray has some interesting sounding extra basketcase drm, I'll pick up the dvd version from a local dump bin or amazon. (These are mostly older titles).

I have an unhealthy fascination with deciphering the extra basketcase drm on dvd and bluray discs (ie. beyond generic css or basic aacs).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Most of my "downgrades" are movies. Not really tv shows.

If I hear that the dvd version of a title I have on bluray has some interesting sounding extra basketcase drm, I'll pick up the dvd version from a local dump bin or amazon. (These are mostly older titles).

I have an unhealthy fascination with deciphering the extra basketcase drm on dvd and bluray discs (ie. beyond generic css or basic aacs).

Thanks for the response! BTW, I should mention that the downgrade version of Knight Rider that I got was from a place called 2nd and Charles in Greenville (a place that used to be Books-A-Million; don't know when it changed). Have you ever heard of a store by that name, or any similar store?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Thanks for the response! BTW, I should mention that the downgrade version of Knight Rider that I got was from a place called 2nd and Charles in Greenville (a place that used to be Books-A-Million; don't know when it changed). Have you ever heard of a store by that name, or any similar store?

I'm not aware of this particular establishment by name.

Nowadays offline, I generally only shop at nearby places. The days of driving around town going from shop to shop, are over for me.

Most of the places I end up scavenging through dump bins, are mostly nearby discount/dollar type stores. For used dvds, I'll check out the nearby thrift shops (such as the salvation army or goodwill). At least at the charity thrift shops, they don't bother resealing any of the dvds. So it is easy to check the condition of the discs. (I generally avoid places which re-seal their secondhanded dvds in plastic wrap).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The majority of my upgrades have been to go from DVD to BR releases:

Star Trek: TOS
Star Trek: TNG
Star Trek: Enterprise
Star Trek: The Animated Series
Battlestar Galactica - Original
Battlestar Galactica - New
Deadwood
That 70s Show
Batman '66
The Rockford Files (although I'll be keeping the DVD set for the movies discs)
Quantum Leap
Lost in Space (although the BR packaging is horrible)
The Pacific
Band of Brothers
The Universe (actually sold the DVD set for enough to fully fund the upgrade)

DVDs have mostly been to both complete a series and/or get better packaging for less:

Sabrina the Teenage Witch - Had 3 keep-case seasons, got the entire series in Megapac for less than the last few seasons.
The Brady Bunch - Had 4 individual seasons - got entire series in Megapac for less than that last season.
I Love Lucy - Had it all - got the Megapac release for space reasons plus got it at a bargain price.
The Cosby Show - Had first 4 seasons on the original releases, purchased the MC to get unedited and complete the series.
Becker - To both complete (refused to purchase the MOD seasons) and get better packaging (Megapac).
Just Shoot Me - To both complete and get better packaging.
Outer Limits - Replaced troublesome DVD18s from Universal with SS releases from Australia (and soon a BR upgrade!)
Gilligan's Island - Go from DS to SS discs plus better packaging.
The Munsters - Go from DS to SS discs plus better packaging.
The Bob Newhart Show - Go from DS to SS discs and complete the series.
Green Acres - Better packaging and complete the series.
Leave it to Beaver - Replace DS discs with SS and complete the series.
Parks and Recreation - The only one just for better packaging. Dump digipaks for keep-cases (was also a bargain price).

I like the Megapac storage cases so much that I have several other completed series I'd replace should the version in that packaging drop to an acceptable price point. On a couple, I'd get a 75% reduction, or more, on the footprint.

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
The majority of my purchases recently in home media, video and audio , have been in obtaining newer versions of titles I already own. I just received Arrow's "The Apartment" blu ray today to replace my MGM. I bought series 4,5 and 6 of The Avengers on blu ray from the UK. I bought The Complete Matt Smith Years of Doctor Who for the extra bonus material. I purchased the complete Emergency DVD set to replace the double sided discs. That's just in the last two weeks. I've bought all the Mill Creek blu ray releases of Universal shows and three from Fabulous Films in the UK. I have all the collectible sets by Paramount/CBS for shows I already collected. (Mission:Impossible, Hawaii Five-0, The Andy Griffith Show, Family Ties, JAG, Star Trek, The Fugitive, I Love Lucy, The Wild, Wild West etc.).
Music is a similar story. Buy deluxe sets of my favorite bands. (Led Zeppelin, Paul McCartney, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Alan Parsons Project). Mostly for hi rez blu ray audio or DVD files. Have about 30 SACD now too for multi channel audio. I want to have the best physical media version possible of all my favorites before they cease to be produced. I'm glad to have made the upgrade in every case.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The Bob Newhart Show - Go from DS to SS discs and complete the series.

Me too on that one! I had the first two original double releases (1972-74), then later got the all-in-one that Shout! made, and now I have it all, and in a release that is well worth the money.

John*Wells

Premium
Real Name
John
The only one Ive upgraded is the Knight Rider Series. I got all 4 of Universal's originally released seasons. The original Flippers I got were never able to be played (in multiple players) without a freeze , skip or some other issue. When I got the Mill Creek BR release, All episdoes played smoothly. I would like to see other series' like The West Wing and Dallas be released in BR (or at least single sided DVD) as I have run into some of the same issue ..I also replaced my entire Duke Of Hazard Season 2 Set because the first one I got had whole episodes that would not play

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have done upgrades from dvd to blu-ray, dvd to hd-dvd to blu-ray or laserdisc, to dvd to blu-ray. Currently I have been doing dvd to blu-ray to 4K blu-ray. I do not think I have ever downgraded anything.

IMG_8644aa.jpg

IMG_9555a.jpg

IMG_9951a.jpg

IMG_8783aa.jpg

IMG_8603aa.jpg

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
For TV series, my upgrades have been minimal. I purchased BATMAN '66 and THE HONEYMOONERS on Blu-ray, to start with, although I did have the Christmas Episode from the latter Classic 39 series on the HOLIDAY TREATS DVD that we bought a few years back, so I suppose that counts.

Off the top of my head, all of my other TV series upgrades have involved THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW. Last year, I upgraded from my Public Domain 8 Episode TAGS DVD from the early '00s to getting all 8 seasons via the Wal-Mart Exclusive Seasons 1-5 DVD set, and ordering the individual seasons 6 and 8. We already had seasons 4 and 7, and I sold the former soon after buying the TAGS Black & White 5 Season DVD set. Finally, I did also upgrade Season 1 soon after by ordering the Season 1 Blu-ray set of TAGS, which also include a "Night of Broadcast" sponsor spots branching option for most of the episodes.

In addition, I did do a mini TAGS downgrade later last year, by ordering a used Double Sided, 2 DVD set of 16 Episodes, that included the complete "The Darlings Are Coming" episode, which is heavily edited on the Season 3 Discs, and is at least somewhat edited on pretty much any other post VHS platform.

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Upgrades?

My favorite is Quantum Leap on Blu. HD and all original music.

There's also been Twilight Zone (volumes to complete seasons to Blu), Star Trek TNG on Blu, X-Files on Blu, and plenty more that went from DVD to Blu.

Oh, and stuff like The Bob Newhart Show or Green Acres from Shout, which gave me single sided discs on the seasons I re-purchased in complete series sets.

Downgrade? Roseanne season 1 and Married With Children season 4. And they're a downgrade only in that Mill Creek jams episodes onto disc and PQ suffers. But they're an upgrade since the sets contain complete episodes, not the syndicated versions used on the originals.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I will ALWAYS look to upgrade my flippers to one-sided discs. I've also upgraded some DVDs to Blu, especially if major improvements to picture and/or sound are made (Jaws and the Universal horror pictures come to mind).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I forgot about upgrading The Twilight Zone to BR! In my defense, it's somewhat buried in the stacks as I've not yet made time to watch that version (I have watched my DVDs a couple of times).

I didn't mention downgrades as I just don't do those, unless, like Robert, you consider those MC re-releases downgrades. I can't decide, but I only own one of those so it's not that big of an issue. I guess I do consider them mostly to be a downgrade due to episode cramming - that's why I've not purchased their release of 3rd Rock... plus the addition of the cut material is, to me, rather insignificant. It's kind of a wash...

I didn't mention movies as there are just too many of them. If a "Top 100" movie receives a BR release I'll usually make the upgrade, depending on the price and how "bad" I think the DVD looks. Most of those have received upgrades. Then there are those "Universal Franchise Collections" for which I've replaced all of the DVD18 releases with SS releases where available.

I wish Fox would see fit to re-release the rest of their Irwin Allen properties on BR, or at least new SS DVD releases. I'd repurchase all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks